Phone: (775) 682-6049
- Fax: (775)784-1833
- PhD Geological Engineering University of Wisconsin – Madison 2011
- MS Hydrogeology University of Nevada – Reno 2006
- BS Hydrogeology University of Nevada – Reno 2004
I am a geoenvironmental engineer and hydrogeologist with research interests including environmental characterization, modeling, and experimental data collection. I am particularly interested in the study and development of data driven models of multi-phase fluid flow and transport in a wide variety of natural and engineered geomaterial systems. I have conducted research on characterization and modeling of liquid flow in bioreactor landfills and in landfill covers through laboratory testing and field-scale experimentation. I am also interested in development and use of geophysical exploration for non-destructive characterization of the mechanical and hydraulic properties of complex geomaterials. I am currently pursuing research developing innovative solutions and predictive models for managing contaminant fate and transport from abandoned mine lands. Our research program collaborates with the Nevada Department of Environmental Protection (NDEP), Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and several private industry and consulting partners. Other areas of interest and experience include groundwater flow modeling, groundwater contaminant fate and transport evaluation and modeling, evaluation and estimation of environmental remediation practices and costs, evaluation of historical environmental remediation practices and costs, and education on the interaction of society, law, industry, and the environment.
Publications - Refereed Journal Articles
- Breitmeyer, R.J., and Benson, C.H., (2014) Evaluation of Parameterization Techniques for Unsaturated Hydraulic Conductivity Functions for Municipal Solid Waste, Geotechnical Testing Journal, 37(4).
- Cooper, C.A., Crews, J.B., Schumer, R., Breitmeyer, R.J., Voepel, H., Decker, D.I. (2014) Experimental Investigation of Transient Thermal Convection in Porous Media, Transport in Porous Media, 104(2), 335-347.
- Bareither, C.A., Breitmeyer, R.J., Benson, C.H., Barlaz, M.A., and Edil, T.B. (2012) Deer Track Bioreactor Experiment: Field-Scale Evaluation of Municipal Solid Waste Bioreactor Performance, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering,
Publications - Other Professional Publications
- Breitmeyer, R.J and Whitman, S. (2016) Evaluation of Unsaturated Flow Models for Prediction of Fate and Transport of Mine Process Component Liquids for Management Applications - Review or Hydrologic Models, Literature, Capabilities and Limitations, Technical Report to the Nevada Mining Association, University of Nevada, Reno, Reno, NV 60 pp.
- Breitmeyer, R.J., and Benson, C.H. (2011), Measurement of Unsaturated Hydraulic Properties of Municipal Solid Waste. Proceedings, Geofrontiers 2011, ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication 211, ASCE, Virginia, USA.
- Breitmeyer, R.J., Meyer, L.L., Bareither, C.A., Benson, C.H., Edil, T.B., Barlaz, M.A. (2010) Calibration of Time Domain Reflectometry Water Content Sensors in Municipal Solid Waste. Proceedings, Global Waste Management Symposium 2010, San Antonio, TX, October 3-6, 2010.
- Benson, C.H., and Breitmeyer, R.J. (2010) Using Inversion to Improve Prediction in
Geoenvironmental Engineering, Geostrata, Geo-Institute of ASCE, Virginia, USA.
- Breitmeyer, R.J., Bareither, C.A., Benson, C.H., Edil, T.B., and Barlaz, M.A. (2008) Field-Scale Lysimeter Experiment to Study Hydrologic and Mechanical Properties of Municipal Solid Waste, Global Waste Management Symposium 2008, Colorado, USA.
- Bareither, C.A., Breitmeyer, R.J., Erses, A.S., Benson, C.H., Edil, T.B., and Barlaz, M.A. (2008) Relative Contributions of Moisture and Biological Activity on Compression of Municipal Solid Waste in Bioreactor Landfills Global Waste Management Symposium
2008, Colorado, USA. (Outstanding Student Paper Award)
- As Invited Speaker - Breitmeyer, R.J., Gardner, J. (2016) Environmental and Engineering Challenges in Nevada's Abandoned Mine Lands Program, Invited presentation to a joint meeting of the Association of Environmental and Engineering Geologists Southern Nevada Section and Society of Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration (SME), April 2016, Las Vegas, NV