Undergraduate Research (UR) offers up to $600 to support undergraduates attending professional conferences ($300 from Undergraduate Research and $300 from the ASUN). There are several grant award periods per academic year (see below) and a student may only apply to and receive an award during one of these grant award periods per year.
These grants of up to $600 are provided to help students presenting papers or posters at professional conferences. UR travel grants may be applied to travel expenses and conference registration only and cannot be used to pay organizational membership fees.Please note that these awards are possible while funds are available and that funds may be depleted towards the end of the fiscal year (June 30).
Students may apply for only one travel grant per academic year. Applications will be considered during the separate travel periods, as outlined below.For travel between the listed dates, please note the application deadline. Applications may be submitted early. For example, if your conference is in April, you may submit during any period prior to the February 1 deadline.
Travel July 1 - September 15: June 1 deadline
Travel September 16 - November 15: August 1 deadline
Travel November 16 - January 15: October 1 deadline
Travel January 16 - March 15: December 1 deadline
Travel March 16 - May 15: February 1 deadline
Travel May 16 - June 30 : April 1 deadline
Application Instructions: If the deadline falls on a Saturday or Sunday, applications will be accepted until the following Monday at 9 am. Incomplete applications will not be considered under any circumstances. Award recipients will be notified by email shortly after the application deadline. Recipients must complete steps 2 and 3 outlined below, in order to receive reimbursement. Failure to properly submit these forms within the designated timelines will result in forfeiture of the award.
Step 1: Complete A Travel Award Application
Your travel award application must contain the following items:
- Lodging paperwork
- Transportation paperwork
- Title and abstract for your conference presentation
- Conference registration (proof showing you actually registered for the conference)
- A letter from your adviser confirming that you are presenting original research at the specific conference.
(Note: All of these documents must be attached with your online application, otherwise it will be rejected). After you have submitted your award, you will be contacted via email regarding the status of your application, if notified that you have received the award, you will then proceed to fill out the Travel Request Form (this is separate from the Travel Award Application).
Step 2: Complete A Travel Request Form
Once you have received confirmation that you have been offered a Travel Award from the Undergraduate Research Office, you will then need to proceed with filling out the Travel Request Form (Please note this form only operates correctly when using Google Chrome as your web browser). The Travel Request Form is a separate form from the Travel Award Application. This Travel Request form must be completed and turned in to your home department, and a copy sent to Undergraduate Research before travel can be taken. If you are traveling internationally you must fill out and submit an International Travel Authorization Request Form to the risk management office (This office is located inside the human resources building on Artemisia way). This form must be approved before travel can be taken. Your travel request from must contain the following items:
- Lodging Confirmation Paperwork (Showing you have actually registered to stay somewhere that shows check in and check out date, unless you are staying with a friend in which a memo will suffice).
- Transportation Paperwork Conference Registration (Proof showing you actually registered for the conference and have paid).
Step 3: Travel Claim
Once you have finished your travel, you are required to fill out the Claim for Employee Travel Expense in workday Form within 15 days of your return. Your Claim For Employee Travel Expense Form must contain the following items:
- Method of Travel Invoice (This will either be your plane booking, or car rental booking, if you are riding along with a friend please include a memo that states your are riding as a passenger with someone else).
- Lodging Invoice (You must turn in the final invoice received upon check-out from your hotel at the end of travel). Conference Schedule (This is a schedule that lists the details of your conference).
- A print out of pier Diem rates. (To print out current pier-diem rates, please visit www.gsa.gov click on the heading travel and then proceed to follow the link plan a trip).
- A copy of your conference registration form.
Once we receive this information we will provide an Undergraduate Research account number that can be used for up to $600 towards reimbursement of the trip.
**For your reference we have placed completed examples of the Travel Award Application, Travel Request Form and Travel Claim. If your forms do not look like our provided examples and contain all relevant information and documentation they will be rejected.**