Instructors guide to Proctorio
Proctorio is an online proctoring tool integrated in WebCampus Quizzes. Proctorio makes it easier to take proctored exams/quizzes. Students can take an exam on any computer with internet connection at their convenience within the exam availability window. During the exam, Proctorio records students' screen activities, their physical movements and the testing environment. The recording will be available for you to review.
What do you need to make Proctorio work?
Proctorio only works in Chrome. Proctorio requires the use of the Google Chrome browser and the Proctorio extension. Download the Chrome browser and the Proctorio extension if needed.
Students need a webcam and a microphone connected to their computer (not iPad or other tablets) with internet connection (wired internet connection highly recommended) and their University-issued student ID or a government-issued photo ID for identity check.
How to enable Proctorio for a course
Proctorio is an option under Quiz settings. Proctorio must be enabled in a course before the option is available in the settings.
To enable Proctorio [see Figure 1 for visual example]:
- Go to the course Settings
- Click on the Navigation tab
- Scroll down to the lower section of the page and find Secure Exam Proctor (Proctorio)
- Drag and move it to the upper section or right-click on the three dots to enable it
- Click Save
- Proctorio has been enabled
Proctorio will be available as one of the options for Quizzes. You won't see any changes in the course navigation menu. If you see the Secure Exam Proctor (Proctorio) link on the course menu, you are not using Chrome or the Proctorio extension is not installed. Click on that link and you will be directed to download the Chrome browser and/or the extension.
How to enable Proctorio for a quiz or exam
Follow these steps to require proctoring on an exam:
- Go to Quizzes on the course menu and add a new quiz. Or you can click on an existing one.
- In Edit mode, under Details, scroll down to Quiz Restrictions section and select the "Enable Proctorio Secure Exam Proctor" option. [See Figure 2 for a visual example]
- Once this option is checked, the Time Limit option is automatically enabled as Proctorio requires a time limit for the quiz. In addition, the quiz access code is filled by default. This ensures students take the quiz while proctored.
- Once the Proctorio option is turned on, the Proctorio Settings tab is also available, with many options for you to choose from, such as recording options, lock down options, verification options, behavior settings, etc. [See Figure 3 for a visual example]
- Click on any options you'd like to include. [See Figure 4 for a visual example]
- Save (or Save and Publish) the quiz. Once saved, the quiz name will change, with the words "Remotely proctored" added to the name).
How to review Proctorio examination results?
The exam results are available under Proctorio Gradebook.
Click on "View Proctorio Gradebook" and you will be taken to the results page, where you can view the recordings. [See Figure 5 for a visual example]
The first time you visit the page, the gradebook tour (a video tutorial of how to use the gradebook) will come up. We recommend you complete the tour. You can turn it off by clicking anywhere on the screen. The tour can be viewed again under the Display Options tab.
Proctorio records the entire exam session of each student. The Suspicion Level is based on the Behavior Settings. You can click on each recording to view the details. [See Figure 6 for a visual example]
How to change Proctorio settings
Instructors have full control of the exam settings (i.e., what Proctorio enables or disables when students take the exam) and behavior settings (i.e., what behavior is to be flagged).
For exam settings, there are three main sections of options:
- Recording options
- Lock down options
- Verification options
Exam settings need to be decided before students take the exam and cannot be changed after students take the exam. For behavior settings, you can either customize the configuration or choose from the pre-sets. Behavior settings can be changed at any time.
To make Proctorio work for you, faculty are recommended learning more about different options for exam settings and behavior settings.
Proctorio has detailed instructions on how each option works on their support website. However, the instructions are only available when you are logged into WebCampus in the Chrome browser. The best place to learn the granular details is in a quiz in your course.
Under Proctorio Settings, each tile represents an option you can choose. When you mouse over a tile, the tile highlights with a brief description appearing below and a question mark in the upper right-hand corner. A click on the question mark will take you to the instructions (or video tutorial) on that option. Please take some time to familiar yourself with different options.