- More Info: Loading...
The major in dance allows students to engage in the rigorous physical practice of dance training, while simultaneously developing a deep understanding of the historical, cultural and performative lineage that underpins the field of dance.
Students pursuing this major will combine the cognitive and kinetic skills necessary to enter the field as dance practitioners, makers, educators, administrators, and/or scholars.
In order to balance the artistic, analytical and kinesthetic, Dance majors are doing, making, and studying dance throughout their undergraduate careers with an emphasis on continued reflection and growth as both practitioners and scholars.
Opportunities and advantages
- Three performance opportunities each academic year (two mainstage concerts and one adjudicated student concert)
- New dance spaces (three studios and a convertible studio theatre
- Guest artist residencies every spring (companies and artists from all over the country - San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles)
- Regular attendance at the American College Dance Association regional festival
- Strong liberal arts foundation with plenty of opportunities for honing physical skills
- Choreographic opportunities for students (student concerts typically feature 20-plus student choreographed works and six to eight choreographers are selected to remount their dances for mainstage performance annually)
- Exposure to a full range of styles is offered. Technique classes focus on ballet, modern, jazz, and improvisation. Guest artist residencies and performance opportunities offer access to other forms such as Gaga technique, hip-hop, dance for the camera and site-specific dance.
- Alignment with the foundational curriculum in the Theatre B.A. encourages collaboration between the divisions and makes a double major seamless
- Curriculum is designed to support those seeking double majors within the College of Liberal Arts or dual degrees
- One-on-one mentoring with faculty and opportunities each semester to perform in faculty choreographed dance works
Alumni of our program have gone on to:
- Pursue MFAs in dance
- Dance for professional athletic teams - Sacramento Kings and San Francisco 49ers
- Participate in -highprofile summer internships - Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, Bates Dance Festival, as well as with festivals and companies in New York City
- Tour with -largescale productions - Criss Angel/Angel Productions, Kevin & Caruso, and others
- Dance in shows at Disneyland and Disney World
- Write for dance publications, most notably Dance Magazine
- Contribute to the local dance community - teaching in studios, performing with local companies (Sierra Nevada Ballet, A.V.A. Ballet Theatre, Reno Dance Company), presenting choreography in local venues, and working in arts administration for local organizations
- Participate in faculty projects/companies - Rosie Trump/with or without dance, belle contemporary dance co., and Downtown Dance Collective
Related Degrees and Programs
Contact College of Liberal Arts
Advising: (775) 682-8745
|Location||Ansari Business Building|
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557