Summer Freshman Start

Summer Freshman Start is an opportunity for incoming freshmen to complete degree requirements before the fall semester. Summer courses are offered in many subjects, including math, English and 100- or 200-level classes that satisfy core requirements needed for your degree. Taking classes in the summer allows you to get an early start on your education, while enjoying free outdoor events and the beauty of campus during the summer months.

How to enroll in Summer Session classes

Before you can enroll in Summer Session classes, you must first be accepted to the University of Nevada, Reno for Fall.

  1. Accept Admission for Fall in your MyNEVADA account.
  2. Activate your account for Summer admission by filling out and submitting the supplemental form for summer registration found on MyNEVADA.
  3. Register for summer classes. Contact the Summer Session office at (775) 784-4652 if you need help.

Summer Freshman Start tuition award

The summer tuition award is available to graduating high school seniors admitted to the University of Nevada, Reno for fall. Applicants must attend the University in fall to be eligible for the award and must enroll in six (6) University of Nevada, reno Summer Session credits to be considered.

How to apply for the Summer Freshman Start tuition award

Applying is easy.

Funding will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. To apply, enroll in six (6) Summer Session credits and then download the Summer Freshman Start Tuition Award application and submit to the Summer Session office.

Failure to earn six University of Nevada, Reno credits during Summer Session, or failure to attend in fall, will result in the withdrawal of award money, in which students will be responsible for returning the funds to the Cashier’s office. Submitting the Tuition Award Request for Funding does not guarantee funding.

Summer housing

For students who are taking class(es) at the University during Summer Session and need on-campus housing, dorm rooms are available. Generally, incoming freshmen who sign up for summer housing are grouped together on the same floor of a resident hall.

Residential Hall Summer Assistants (RAs) are available to help residents get to know one another and to encourage participation in summer activities. Students living in dorms during Second Summer Session who are also living in the dorms for the fall semester may sign up for uninterrupted housing during the gap between Summer Session ending and NevadaFIT or the fall semester beginning (additional charges apply).

For more information, please contact the Residential Life, Housing & Food Service office.