Faculty Resources

Access and Security

What happened to ePAWS?

MyNEVADA is replacing our current enrollment services site, ePAWS, beginning Fall 2011. Whatever you used to do on ePAWS, you will now do on MyNEVADA. MyNEVADA will be your state-of-the-art, one-stop location to take care of nearly all your University business.

How do I get access to my class rosters?

Class rosters can be viewed in MyNEVADA under Curriculum Management - Class Roster. Instructors assigned to the course may see this as well as department schedulers and some University faculty and staff with a specific education interest in the course.

How do I change my class meeting time and room?

If the schedule is still open for editing, you can contact your department scheduler and they can make the changes in the system. The scheduler will then need to notify Raymond Needham and Chelsey Brokmann of the changes via email. After the schedule has closed, the department scheduler will need to submit a request to Raymond Needham via email: needham@unr.edu.

Degree Audit

How do I access my Academic Advising Report?

The Academic Advising Report will be available early Fall 2011 for designated advisors. During the interim, please refer to ePAWS/DARS for fall student advisement. If the student is graduating in December 2011, he/she will need to enter his/her fall coursework as planned coursework. For instructions see the Help link on the DARSweb toolbar. Click the "Include Planned Coursework" box before requesting the audit.

How do I know if my advisee is cleared to graduate?

This will appear on the Academic Advising Report in MyNEVADA as "All Requirements have been met." This will be available with the Academic Advising report.

How do I propose a new course to be taught?

To propose a new course, a New or Changed Course Proposal Form must be filled out with the correct attachments and documentation. Once these are reviewed and approved by the department and college, they will be sent to the University Courses and Curriculum Committee (UCCC) for review at the next meeting. This committee handles the process for creating, changing, approving and implementing new courses and/ or catalog changes for the University.

For additional information and full instructions please visit the Create a new course page.

How do I initiate changes in the university catalog?

A department chair may initiate the changes but before being implemented the Dean, the Vice Provost of Instruction and Undergraduate Programs, and the Chair of the University Courses and Curricula committee must mutually agree that the proposed changes do not warrant full UCCC action.

For more full instructions please visit Curriculum Central.

What is the Courses and Curriculum Committee?

This committee oversees the processes for creating, changing, approving and implementing new courses and/or catalog changes for the University. Please see Curriculum Central for more information.


How do I refer a prospective student to this university?

You can refer the student by having them contact or visit the Office of Prospective Students at 784-6116 or the Welcome Center in the Joe Crowley Student Union. The student can also find admissions information on the Admissions page.

Where do prospective students find admission requirements?

You can find the admissions requirements at the University Admissions page. The requirements are listed under the Application Process section on the right side of the page. Click on the sub-section "Freshman Requirements" or the sub-section "Transfer Requirements" to view a full list of requirements for either group.

Where do I direct a student to find application status for admission?

The student can find the application status by logging onto the MyNEVADA system and going into the Applicant Center.  At the bottom of the Applicant Center page, go to the Admissions section.  The student's current application should be listed under this section.  Click on the "View Application Details" link on the right to view the application status.  This page will show the application status and also indicate if more information is needed to process it.

Why hasn't a prospective student received any recruitment material from the university?

The University receives a list of students from Nevada high schools.  If the student opted out of giving any information for any reason, the student's name will not appear on the list and information will not be sent.  Students can call the Office for Prospective Students at 784-6116 or research information online by accessing https://webservices.unr.edu/targetx/inquiries/create.

New Student Initiatives

What does the New Student Initiatives Office do?

The New Student Initiatives Office exists to assist new students in making the transition from their previous academic environment to the University academic environment. We offer a variety of programs to meet this goal. Visit the New Student Initiatives or call us at (775) 784-4306. Programs coordinated by the New Student Initiatives office consist of: Orientation (summer, spring), Wolf Pack Welcome, the Student Success Series, Wolves on Wheels, and MAP-Works. You may also follow us on twitter @NVNewStudents.

What is Orientation?

The New Student Initiatives office implements the summer orientation for students entering in the fall semester. Freshmen are encouraged to attend a 2 day, overnight program that consists of a variety of academic and service focused workshops to assist in their transition from a High School learning environment to the University. Transfer students are also encouraged to attend one of the Transfer Orientation days. These are 1 day programs, which also consist of workshops to ease a student's transition to this University. New students entering at the beginning of the spring semester, also have an orientation program occurring days before the start of the semester. More information about orientation can be found at Orientation.

What is Wolf Pack Welcome?

Wolf Pack Welcome is a coordinated, campus wide, Welcome for all new and returning students at the beginning of the fall semester. Annual events within Wolf Pack Welcome are: New Student Ceremony, College Welcome Events, Quad Day, Midnight Pancake Feed, and Friday Festival. To review the Wolf Pack Welcome schedule of events please visit Wolf Pack Welcome.

Tell me about the Student Success Series

The Student Success Series was developed by the New Student Initiatives office as an alternative approach to a first year experience seminar.  The Student Success Series consists of a number of workshops aimed at student success in and out of the classroom.  Workshop topics consist of test taking strategies, time management skills, successful social networking, and many more.  A complete listing of events can be found on our website at www.unr.edu/student-success-series.

What is Wolves on Wheels?

Wolves on Wheels is a student developed and led program to provide outreach and connectivity to our students that live off campus, commuter students.  The primary communication source is the Wolves on Wheels Facebook page (WOW:WolvesonWheels) where students can access information about various campus services and events.

Tell me about MAP-Works.

The MAP-Works project is a student retention tool for both new first year students and sophomore students. MAP-Works focuses on providing students information on the areas that they are experiencing challenges. This is done through student survey and student reports along with active intervention on behalf of faculty that are connected to students. An additional tool also exists within the project for faculty members to issue an "alert" on a student that appears to be facing challenges. To gain more information about MAP-Works or issue an alert, please visit MAP-Works.

Records and Registration

Where do I find academic policies?

You can find academic policies in the Online Catalog.

Examples of Academic Policies include:

  • Disclosure of Student Education Records and Directory Information

Policy Statements such as:

  • Legal Notice
  • Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
  • Anti-Discrimination Policy
  • International Student Visas
  • NSHE Policy Against Discrimination and Sexual Harassment; Complaint Procedure
  • Student Responsibilities
  • Data Security
  • Student Expectations
  • University Values and the Exchange of Ideas

Where would I find the dates for spring break for the next ten years (as well as all other important calendar dates)?

Spring break dates can be found in the course catalog along with all University holidays by going to Nevada Today Events - Holidays.

How do I direct students to register for classes?

To register for classes, the student will need to log onto MyNEVADA and enter the Student Center.  On the Student Center homepage, under the Academics section, follow the "enrollment shopping cart" link.  The student will then enter the 5-digit course numbers of the classes to take for the semester and add them to the shopping cart.  Once all of the classes are entered, click on the "enroll" tab and follow the steps to complete enrollment.

Note:  Classes cannot be added to the shopping cart from the Search for Classes link.

How do I input my midterm and final grades?

Beginning Fall 2011, instructors will begin submitting grades electronically through MyNEVADA at https://My.NEVADA.unr.edu.  Grade Rosters will be generated prior to the grading period.  Once generated, you will go to your Faculty Center where there will be a list of all classes you are assigned to teach that term.  By selecting the Grade Roster icon next to the class you wish to access, a grade roster will be displayed where you can assign grades via a dropdown menu.  Once your input is complete, you will select approve and post on the same page.  Grades will then be available to students immediately and are official.  Any changes of grades after grade posting will require a paper form available from Admissions and Records.

What do I do if a student wants to appeal a grade?

If a student wants to appeal a grade, they need to file an Intent to Appeal a Grade form no later than ten working days after the first day of classes.  The program director, department chair, or designee will attempt to resolve the conflict.  If the conflict is not resolved at this level, the student can then initiate an official change of grade by filling out the Official Change of Grade form.

Download the Grade Appeal Form.

How can a student order a transcript?

Ordering an official transcript can be done online through the National Student Clearinghouse. Unofficial transcripts can be requested in person at the Admissions and Records counter in the Student Services building or by fax at 784-4283 or through MyNEVADA. Please visit the Requesting Transcripts page for more information.

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

How can a student obtain a scholarship?

Freshman and transfer students are automatically considered for General University Scholarships.  The priority application deadline is February 1; applications received after the priority deadline will be considered pending available funds.  Continuing students not currently receiving a scholarship may submit a continuing student application by February 1 for consideration.  Students are also encouraged to apply for external scholarships and grants from private donors.

Information on scholarships and other financial aid can be found online at the Financial Aid website.

What is FAFSA?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is an application used to apply for federal student aid.  Federal student aid includes grants, work-study programs, and loans.  Federal student aid can cover tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, transportation, and other related expenses.  Students should apply by March 1 for maximum consideration.   Need-based gift aid is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis to eligible students.

For extensive information on federal student aid, visit:

How is a student's financial aid determined?

Financial aid is determined by qualifying academic credentials such as high school grade point average or transfer grade point average, ACT and SAT scores, and for transfer students the number of transferring credits.  In order to be considered for university scholarships, a student must get an application in before February 1.  There are various scholarships and committees that have different requirements to be met.

For full requirements see the Financial Aid: University Scholarships page.

How does a student keep financial aid from year to year?

In order to keep current financial aid, the student must meet the enrollment level and satisfactory academic progress requirements. The Financial Aid office monitors the number of credits the student is enrolled in and earns each term. If the student drops courses and falls below the minimum credit requirements or grade point average, eligibility for all aid may be terminated and repayment of funds received may be required. All appropriate application materials must be submitted before the deadlines.

For more information, visit the Financial Aid: Aid By Student Type website.

ASUN Bookstore

How do I order textbooks for my class?

Adoptions can be placed using the departmental list of course requirements forms that the bookstore sends to all department administrative assistants.  Orders can be faxed or phoned to the textbook office.  Faculty may also place their textbook requisitions online by accessing the ASUN Bookstore's website. Please notify the bookstore if sections are added or estimated enrollments have been changed.

Why do you need the book orders so far in advance?

Staff spend many hours researching over 2,000 titles during the fall and spring semesters, notifying faculty of updated publications and out-of-prints, reviewing our inventory, shopping for used books, planning buybacks, preparing the sales floor, and processing shipments for the new semester.  It is very difficult to do this when adoptions are late.

Can I still order a textbook for my class if it is past the deadline?

Yes, but keep in mind, the students may end up paying more money for their books because the opportunity to buy used copies may have passed.  Also, out-of-stocks and wrong shipments from the vendor can be a concern.  The bookstore cannot guarantee books will be in stock by the first class session.

What are the concerns with custom bundles or books?

With custom bundles and books, there is normally a slower turn-around time in getting the order in and publishers usually allow the bookstores to return only 10-20% of its purchases.  (A custom bundle is a package of educational materials a professor wants bundled together for one set price; i.e. textbook, homework code and online tutorials.)  Reorders are usually the biggest problem since publishers don't keep custom products in stock.  Other concerns include refund issues.  Students who try to return their bundle to the bookstore sometimes do not have all the components anymore.  The bookstore cannot offer a full refund due to publisher policy.  During book buyback, if the bookstore is overstocked or not buying the book for any reason, the wholesaler will not pay for custom books since there is no national demand.

For more information, please visit: http://www.nevadawolfshop.com

The Center for Student Cultural Diversity

What type of services does the Center offer?

Faculty frequently refer students to the Center for advisement, leadership development, counseling, student organizations, outreach, and intercultural programming. Services include:

  • assistance with understanding financial aid requirements
  • academic and personal counseling
  • major and career exploration
  • computer lab
  • plasma TV, Blu-Ray, and video game lounge
  • study area
  • student organization development and support
  • supportive learning environment
  • multilingual professional and student staff

Which students should I refer to the Center?

All university students are welcomed at the Center.  However, the Center's mission places special emphasis on students who identify as African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, Asian/Pacific American, Multiethnic or Biracial, Low Income/First Generation, and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, and Questioning.

Where do I find the Center?

The Center is located on the third floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union. Center hours during the academic year are:

  • Monday through Thursday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
  • Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.  

The Center also has an active online presence and is on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

In what ways does the Center collaborate with academics?

The Center compiles the University's Annual Diversity Report to provide the opportunity for academic departments to report their student diversity efforts to the Board of Regents and Chancellor for the Nevada System of Higher Education.  The Center also collaborates with academic departments to offer academic and paraprofessional internships for both graduate and undergraduate students.  In addition, the Center also works with academic departments to co-sponsor culturally related co-curricular programming.  Finally, the Center provides Safe Zone training for courses and departments upon request.

Counseling Services

About Counseling Services

The Office of Counseling Services provides confidential psychological counseling for concerns such as academic performance, stress and anxiety, depression and suicide, eating disorders, grief and loss, and relationship issues. Students enrolled for six or more credits automatically pay a mandatory fee for this service. Licensed professional staff includes psychologists, clinical social workers, and a marriage and family therapist, along with advanced graduate externs and interns. AD/HD assessment is also available for students referred via the Disability Resource Center or Student Health Center. Students may call (775) 784-4648 for appointments or walk in for urgent needs during regular business hours.

For more information, visit the Counseling Services website.

When would faculty need to refer a student to Counseling Services?

When faculty encounter students who appear to be in emotional distress, it is important not to overlook these signs. Students may show disturbing changes in class attendance, behavior, or academic performance. They also may express feelings such as anger, despair, or even suicidal thoughts. Although faculty may feel uncomfortable or reluctant to address what are often very personal problems, they can play a pivotal, and sometimes even life-saving role, in reaching out and steering students to help.

What's the best way to make a referral?

The first step is to speak directly with the student about the concern. Explain what has been observed and ask what is going on. Emphasize Counseling Services is a confidential resource that is available daily (M-F) with walk-in hours. It is often helpful to offer to make the call with the student or, in really acute circumstances, to even walk the student over to us.

What if a faculty member is unsure how to approach a situation?

Faculty may always consult with Counseling Services' professional staff about their concerns and questions regarding distressed (or distressing) students. Just call (775) 784-4648 and ask to speak with a staff person or email the Director, Dr. Cindy Marczynski at cmarczynski@unr.edu.

What about services for graduate and teaching assistants?

Although graduate and teaching assistants often refer their students, they may also use our confidential services for their own personal issues.

Do you have a student who is distressed?

The Student Intervention Team (SIT) is available as a resource for academic and administrative faculty members experiencing distressed, distressing, and/or disruptive students within our campus learning communities, both in and out of the classroom. If a student is frequently absent, making excuses, writes or talks about suicide, demonstrates bizarre behavior, acts inappropriately in class, or clearly expresses other signs of distress, faculty are encouraged to consult with a Student Intervention Team member. The team meets weekly to provide support, coordination of intervention services, and referrals for identified students. The Student Intervention Team members also can track problem situations that may reoccur over time with individual students.

The Student Intervention Team is also available to provide training to departments on how to identify students who are distressed, what resources and services are available, how to make referrals, and proceed within University guidelines with students who present behavioral problems that are disrupting instruction.

To refer a student of concern, please contact Sally Morgan, Director of Student Conduct at 784-4388, sallym@unr.edu, or go online to the Student Intervention Team website to complete a referral form. It will be reviewed immediately by every member of the team. To schedule a group consultation for your department, please contact Sally Morgan sallym@unr.edu.

What services are provided for students involved in an alcohol or drug violation occurring on or off campus?

The Office of Student Conduct offers educational and treatment programs (listed below) for students enrolled at the University. Eligibility for these programs is limited to those individuals enrolled at the University of Nevada, Reno, who are involved in substance-related misconduct and referred by the Office of Student Conduct and Residential Life, or self-referral by the student. We actively encourage students involved in the criminal process to seek referrals to these programs from the court (when applicable to the resolution in court).

BASICS - Brief Alcohol Screening Intervention for College Students

An educational program designed to assist mild to moderate alcohol abusers and/or policy violators in correcting behavior through enforcement and instruction. This program offers a one-on-one experience with a trained alcohol counselor/educator to provide individual information and guidance to students, including tools to make choices to reduce binge drinking and to assist students in setting healthy goals for reducing abusive and/or underage drinking.

CASICS - Cannabis Screening Intervention for College Students

An educational program designed to assist first-time student violations of our University substance abuse policy for possession/use of marijuana in correcting the student's behavior through enforcement and instruction. This program offers a one-on-one experience with a trained substance abuse counselor/educator to provide individual information and guidance to students, including tools to make choices to prevent use of illegal substances (marijuana) and information on the effects of marijuana.

STEPSS - Substance Abuse Treatment; Educational Programs for Student Success

A program that combines education and treatment approaches and addresses student decision-making and life skills. This program is designed for students having a second alcohol violation and for students involved in a first time substance abuse violation for illegal drugs. The STEPSS program is a four-week workshop during which the student will be drug tested (illegal drug referral) or breathalyzed (alcohol referral) and will complete a private assessment with an alcohol and other drug counselor.

OnTRAC - Student Drug Court-Treatment, Responsibility, Accountability on Campus

A comprehensive drug court style of educational and treatment program, designed for students in need of a highly structured intervention plan, due to the student's serious level of dependency on alcohol or illegal drugs, and/or the student's repeated drug and alcohol violations. This is an individualized program that combines treatment with student academic success strategies, and involves alcohol and other drug randomized testing throughout the student's participation in the program. OnTRAC is a 16-20 week program that models itself after successful drug court programs with the added dimension of focusing on university students and on providing an intensive treatment program while remaining enrolled as a student.

Do you have a student who is showing signs of alcohol or drug abuse?

You can refer this student to the Office of Student Conduct as a self-referral.  While our primary work is with those students involved in a code of conduct violation, be assured that any student can seek assistance without worry of getting into trouble if they admit to using drugs or alcohol.  As a self-referral, the student's admissions are private and will not involve any conduct action.

Do you have students looking for ways to socialize that do not include alcohol?

You can refer these students to www.facebook.com/campusunderground. This face book page lists social events offered on campus every Friday and Saturday night.

What can I do to help prevent these behaviors on our campus and in our community?

Contact the Office of Student Conduct at 784-4388 and schedule a presentation for your class, club, or organization.  The staff there can design a prevention presentation based upon the needs and interests of your group.

First-Generation and Low-Income College Students

I have a student in my class who seems to be struggling with the adjustment to college. Is there a place for me to refer this student?

The TRiO Scholars Program scales down the sometimes overwhelming college experience for first-generation college students who have come from low-income families.  Services include individual tutoring and assistance with writing as well as career, academic, and personal counseling.  Students are also assisted with navigating the complex financial aid system.  Limited grant aid is provided to eligible participants.  

For more information, call 784-6044 or visit the Trio Scholars website.

I am interested in working with outreach programs to mentor high school students. Do we have programs on campus that would provide this opportunity?

Three Upward Bound programs prepare high school students from designated area high schools for the rigors of college-level work. Students are provided tutoring and advising during the academic year.  Participants also attend a six-week residential summer academy on the UNR campus.

For more information, call 784-4978 or visit the Upward Bound website.

I am interested in mentoring underrepresented students who have an interest in graduate school. Do we have any programs that promote faculty mentoring?

The McNair Scholars Program prepares underrepresented upperclassmen for graduate school.  Services include intensive GRE preparation, undergraduate research under the direction of a faculty mentor, assistance with graduate school applications and a $2,800 research stipend for those participating in the seven-week summer research institute.  In addition, many graduate schools waive application fees for McNair Scholars participants.

For more information, call 784-6044 or visit the McNair Scholars website.

Joe Crowley Student Union

About the Joe Crowley Student Union

The Joe Crowley Student Union has a variety of conference rooms including five pre-set rooms, six multi-purpose rooms, a formal reception room, and a 10,000 square-foot ballroom.  Located on the third floor is a 5,000 square-foot, 219 seat, two-level, high-definition movie theater with digital surround sound, VHS, DVD, cable, satellite, and Blu Ray/HD capabilities.  These resources are available at little or no cost to your department in order to enhance students' out-of-classroom experience.  Many programs can be co-sponsored with academic departments including workshops, lectures, concerts, and film series.  Co-sponsorship can assist faculty in a wide variety of ways such as program promotion, access to premiere programming spaces, and/or program development.

How do I reserve a room in the Union?

You can reserve a room by calling 682-7402 and speaking with our friendly scheduling office staff.  You can reserve a room online through Virtual EMS on our website.  You can also walk in to our administrative offices on the fourth floor and speak with a scheduling assistant in person.  Room descriptions and pictures can be found on the Student Union website.

What retail food options are available?

Food retailers are open all year long at the Joe! Starbucks, Keva Juice, and ASUN Pack Pit Stop are located on the first floor. Einstein Bros bagels, Port of Subs, Villa Fresh Italian Kitchen, and Panda Express are on the second floor. Cantina del Lobo Mexican Grille is on the third floor. Check the Student Union website for hours, specials, discounts and coupons!

Are there catering and pick up food options for events and meetings?

Yes, Silver and Blue Catering services the campus and can be reached at 784-6143.  Their office is located on the fourth floor of the Joe.  Depending on your event, you may also pick up custom orders from Cantina del Lobo, Party Packs from Panda Express, Party Trays and Platters from Port of Subs, Bagel Buckets and more from Einstein Bros Bagels, coffee and pastries from Starbucks, and more.  Each student union vendor has unique options to assist you with your pick up orders.  Please call 784-6505 and speak with the Programming and Marketing Coordinator.

Can my family and I attend Student Union films or lectures? How do I find out about events at the Union?

Yes, faculty and family are welcome to attend Student Union sponsored events. Faculty can find out about events by subscribing to our weekly email, or checking the university events calendar.

For more information, visit the Student Union Website or call (775) 784-6505.

Disability Resource Center

What is the Disability Resource Center

The Disability Resource Center (DRC) provides accommodations for students with disabilities ensuring campus compliance with federally-mandated law.  All services offered through the DRC support the faculty in their efforts to provide students with disabilities access to all University programs.

How do I encourage students with disabilities to seek accommodations in a timely manner?

Encourage students to disclose their needs for accommodations at the beginning of the semester. Include a statement on your syllabus encouraging them to work with the DRC to secure accommodations.  Making this announcement during your first class will also encourage timely disclosure.

Do you have examples of disability syllabi statements?

There are many possible statements that can appear on a syllabus. Please refer to the DRC Syllabus statements page for more information.

What if a student presents me with a DRC instructor letter during week ten of the semester? Am I obligated to provide accommodations? Am I required to provide "retro-active" accommodations?

Students with disabilities can self-disclose at any time throughout the semester. Services need to be provided once they make a request for accommodation(s). You are not required to adjust the grading of coursework completed prior to the student's request for accommodation. The DRC is available to provide training for faculty/departments (online or in person) on topics ranging from the American with Disabilities Act and other related laws, to building an accessible website and creating accessible course materials.

For more information, visit the Disability Resource Center website.

Student Conduct

What if I suspect a student of plagiarism, cheating, or some other form of academic dishonesty?

The Office of Student Conduct serves as the University's administrators of the Student Code of Conduct.  The main area of service to faculty is the administration of the Academic Standards Policy.  The director will consult with any/all faculty who are considering taking action against a student for cheating, plagiarism or other types of academic dishonesty.  All University records of faculty action are maintained by the director.  Any student misconduct in the classroom or while interacting with faculty via e-mail, telephone, or outside of class is referred to the Coordinator for resolution, either formal disciplinary resolution, or informal administrative action, including removal of the student from the class.

For more information, visit the Office of Student Conduct website or contact Sally Morgan, Director of Student Conduct, at 784-4388.

Student Health Center

What if a student in my class is ill or injured?

If you feel the situation is not an emergency, you can send the student to the Student Health Center.  All students enrolled in six or more credits pay a mandatory student health fee so many services at the health center are free or at a reduced rate.

For more information, please visit the Student Health Center website.

Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction

What does the Tutoring Center offer?

The Tutoring Center, located in Thompson Building, Room 101M, is a great resource for undergraduates to improve their academic skills and grades. Tutors help with content and study skills for classes in the sciences, math, physics, foreign languages, and the humanities. Additional courses are dependent upon tutor availability. The Tutoring Center provides free walk-in labs and group sessions (two or more students in the same class with the same instructor). One-on-one tutoring packages are available for a nominal charge of $20 for five one-on-one sessions can be purchased on MyNEVADA under "optional charges."

Can the Tutoring Center provide a study skills presentation for my class?

The staff of the Tutoring Center presents on topics such as study skills and academic success.  Call the Tutoring Center at 784-6801.

How can I contact the Tutoring Center?

The Tutoring Center is located in the Thompson Building at 101M.  The phone number is 784-6801.  If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Marsha Urban on her direct line at 682-5983.  Walk-in lab schedules, groups, tutor availability, office hours, and study skills PowerPoints are all available on the Tutoring Center Website.

What is Supplemental Instruction?

In addition, the Tutoring Center provides free Supplemental Instruction (SI) for traditionally difficult courses that have high D, F, and W rates by partnering a peer-the SI Leader, who excelled in the class, with the instructor and a SI supervisor to provide students with four hours of facilitated sessions a week. Additionally, SI leaders are chosen by the faculty member to ensure quality of knowledge and ensure the leader will work with the instructor as a team.

Can I get a Supplemental Instruction Leader for my class?

Contact Marsha Urban, director, Tutoring Center to discuss the matter at 682-5983. She can meet with you to explain the benefits of SI, what faculty members are presently using SI, and how to get the most from SI.

How are tutors and Supplemental Instruction Leaders chosen and trained?

All tutors and SI Leaders must have at least a 3.0 GPA, at least a "B" in the class they are tutoring, and recommendations from academic faculty.  All tutors and SI Leaders attend training before the beginning of the semester.  Training stresses active sessions, questioning techniques, and tutoring strategies.  Tutors and SI leaders are trained to guide students, rather than give answers.

Are there additional tutoring services on campus?

Yes. The Math Center and the Writing Center also provide tutoring services.

Residential Life Housing and Food Service

About Residential Life, Housing and Food Service

Residential Life, Housing and Food Service (RLHFS) is committed to providing on-campus residents a diverse living/learning environment that enhances individual health, growth and development opportunities.  In addition, we provide students, faculty, staff and guests with high quality food service and products in a pleasant environment at a reasonable cost. Additional information can be found at www.unr.edu/housing or by calling (775) 784-1113.

Because we recognize the value and importance of integrating in class and out of class learning, Residential Life, Housing, and Food Service strives to involve faculty with our students in a variety of ways such as our living learning communities, our academic intervention program, and through programs and activities that occur in the halls.

What are Living Learning Communities and how can I become involved?

Living Learning Communities provide educational and social opportunities to first-year students who have chosen to live on campus. Students live with others who share an interest in academic and professional issues. Students are assigned to the same floor in the residence hall, take one or more core courses with other students in the LLC, and actively participate in their floor communities.  To learn more information about the living learning communities we currently offer, please visit the ResLife website.

Faculty involvement in the Living Learning Communities is a key to their success.  Faculty become involved in a variety of ways, from coordinating an entire community to teaching a course in common for a community to sharing a special academic or personal passion with students in a community.  If you are interested in becoming involved in one of our Living Learning Communities, please contact Teri Galvin, Area Coordinator for Retention programs at (775) 682-7890.

What is the Academic Intervention program and what do I do if a student tells me they are involved in the Academic Intervention in the halls?

Any student who falls below a 2.0 for any semester in the residence halls is required to participate in our Academic Intervention program. Students are assigned to a residential life live-in staff member who works with them throughout the semester to help them figure out why they struggled and refer them to resources that can help them to be successful. Students may be required to do a variety of things depending on their circumstances, including tutoring, attending faculty office hours, attending workshops, completing progress reports, and following through on recommended referrals. Faculty feedback is important in this program and this is often the first time that a student has actually spoken to one of their faculty members. If a student asks you to complete a progress report for them, please do and if appropriate, engage them in a conversation about their progress in your class. If you have any questions about the Academic Intervention program or a student who is participating, please contact Teri Galvin, Area Coordinator for Retention Programs at (775) 682-7890.

I have a concern about a student who I know is living in the residence halls. Who should I call to share my concerns?

We are always happy to help in any way we can. Because students are living with us and we have both professional and student live-in staff available, we are often able to intervene quickly when there is a concern. Feel free to call our office at (775) 784-1113 and tell them you wish to talk with someone about a concern about a student.