Guide to Research and Sponsored Project Compliance
The administration of academic research and sponsored projects has grown more complex over the years. In addition to leading the research that is a core mission of the University of Nevada, Reno (University), principal investigators (PIs) have ultimate responsibility for compliance with award terms and conditions, federal, state and local regulations, and University policies directly related to their research and/or sponsored projects.
This guide provides an overview of these policies and regulations. It is intended as a supplement to—not a substitute for—the services provided by the following Research and Innovation division offices: Sponsored Projects, Research Integrity, Environmental Health and Safety, Animal Resources, Enterprise and Innovation and other campus offices charged with supporting University faculty and staff.
The goal of this guide is to assist PIs and their support staff in avoiding common compliance pitfalls so that they can receive the full value from their sponsored awards and focus on the advancement of knowledge, the development of the next generation of scholars and service to the worldwide community.
Conduct and Processes
- Solicitation of Sponsored Funding
- Requirements for University Principal Investigators
- Award Terms and Conditions
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Conflict of Interest
- Technical Progress and Final Reports
- Developing and Monitoring Subrecipient Relationships
- Sponsored Project Roles and Responsibilities
Budgeting and Expenditures
- Cost Principles
- Facilities and Administrative Rates
- Charging Administrative Costs to Federally Sponsored Projects
- Expense Categories to Watch
- Cost Transfers for Sponsored Projects
- Institutional Sponsored Project Cost Sharing
- Effort Reporting