How to Apply
The requirements for acceptance as a graduate student in sociology include:
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- A grade-point average of 2.75 or higher for four years of undergraduate work
- Undergraduate coursework in sociology or other social science disciplines is preferred; other applicants should contact the Director of Graduate Studies before applying to discuss their potential fit with the program.
Candidates to the graduate program in sociology need to submit application materials to the Graduate School.
Department of Sociology application requirements
- University of Nevada, Reno graduate application form
- $60 application fee ($95 for international students)
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions
- Three letters of recommendation from former instructors indicating the student’s capability of doing graduate work
- A statement of purpose
- Sample of research or writing (e.g., a term paper)
- Optional: One additional document that speaks to your readiness for graduate studies in sociology, such as a fourth letter of recommendation from a professional source, an additional writing sample like an op-ed or a professional report, or GRE scores
- Review additional requirements for international students
A limited number of graduate assistantships are available to qualified students. Stipends range between $8,000 and $16,000 per year and also include partial exemption of tuition and registration fees. If a student is applying for loans or scholarships through the financial aid office, applications should be submitted prior to February 1st. Otherwise, the deadline for applications for admissions for fall semester is April 1st and for spring semester, it is November 1st.