Service is one of the core values embraced in the Code of Ethics by the National Association of Social Workers (NASW). All social workers are encouraged to aspire to the following ethical principle:
"Social workers' primary goal is to help people in need and to address social problems. Social workers elevate service to others above selfinterest. Social workers draw on their knowledge, values, and skills to help people in need and to address social problems. Social workers are encouraged to volunteer some portion of their professional skills with no expectation of significant financial return (pro bono service)." (NASW Code of Ethics)
- Gentiva [PDF] - Volunteer in a hospice environment
- Communities In Schools of Western Nevada [WEB] - Volunteer for dropout prevention in Washoe County Schools.
- Trauma Intervention Program [PDF] - Volunteer as an emergency response crisis team member in Washoe County (TIP).
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northern Nevada [PDF] - Volunteer as a Big Brother or Big Sister just one-hour a week and change the life of an at-risk child in our community.
- Volunteers of America/ReStart [PDF] - Volunteers of America/ReStart oversees a variety of programming designed to accommodate the needs of at-risk populations in and around Washoe County, including the homeless, the mentally ill, and low-income seniors.
- TPO After Hours Volunteers [PDF] - Please consider volunteering to help victims of Domestic Violence. Your time and caring can help a victim to feel safe and secure.
- Aging and Disability Services Division [DOC] - Volunteer for the Long Term Care Ombudsman Program