- Ph.D., Social Psychology, University of Nevada, Reno
- M.A., Sociology, Temple University
- B.A., Sociology, University of Nevada, Reno
Mary White Stewart joined the faculty at the University of Nevada, Reno in 1987, after spending 14 years at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, where she developed courses in gender and family violence and developed the women's studies minor. After coming to the University of Nevada, Reno, her continuing interest in feminism and women's lives encouraged research in the area of rape, battery and breast implants, leading to a number presentations and books on violence against women. At the University, she directed the Women's Studies program for 10 years and developed the Gender, Race and Identity (GRI) Program, bringing together women's studies, ethnic studies, Holocaust, Genocide and Peace Studies and Religious Studies. She developed an M.A. and a certificate program in GRI. After returning to the Department of Sociology and teaching for two years, she became the director of the School of Social Research and Justice Studies. Her major areas of research and teaching interest are gendered violence, family violence and social deviance, all of which she approaches from a critical sociological and a social psychological perspective. She is currently writing the second edition of Ordinary Violence and working on a documentary: Imperfect Justice: Murder, Clemency and a Lifetime of Loss.
- Portraits of Change: Unparalleled Freedoms, Unanticipated Consequences.( Forthcoming 2012 ) Hamilton Press.
- "Trauma, Stress and Well-Being in Civil Litigation" (with Steve Woods) In Trauma, Stress and Well-Being in the Legal System." Oxford University Press. Forthcoming 2012.
- Ordinary Violence: Everyday Assaults Against Women. (2002) Bergin and Garvey
- Silicone Spills: Breast Implants on Trial. (1998) Prager Press.
- "A Study of Shared Definitions of Reality in Rape Cases," (1996) Stewart, Dobbin, and Gatowski, Feminist Legal Studies, Kent Law School.
- "The Health Care needs of Homeless Nevadans: Is the Health Care the Answer?" Nevada Public Affairs Review, Winter, University of Nevada, 1994.
- "Images of Women in Advertising in Vogue, 1945-1990," in Images of Women in the Arts and Mass Media, Mellen, 1993.
- Gender Bias in Sexual Assault Cases: A Study of the Nevada Justice System, Stewart and Storman, Supreme Court of the State of Nevada, 1992.