- Postdoctoral, University of California San Francisco, 2003 - 2006; Health Services Research Training Program Certificate, 2005; Institute for Health Policy Studies of UCSF
- Ph.D., Political Science, City University of New York, 2003
- B.A., Politics, New York University, 1992
I study the politics of health and safety regulations, with a focus on the role of the private sector in public policy. Specific research topics have included tobacco control, drug safety, and the politics of science. I conduct qualitative analysis of archived documents while seeking a better understanding of structural inequality and how stakeholders interact with government and public health. I also contribute to multi-disciplinary teams to discover the implications of health science research for social justice and public policy.
- J Zou, W Yang, DM Cook, Z Yuan, L Zhang, X Wang. . New cooperative medical financing policy and hospitalization in rural China. International Health, June 4. doi:10.1093/inthealth/ihv029.
- J Smith Gagen, R Hollen, S Tashiro, DM Cook, W Yang. . The Association of State Law to Breastfeeding Practices in the US. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 18(9), 2034-2043.
- Tung, W.C., Lu, M., & Cook, D.M. . HIV/AIDS Knowledge and attitudes among Chinese college students living in the US. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, DOI: 10.1007/s10903-012-9716-1.
- DM Cook, PV Moulton, TM Sacks, W Yang. . Self-reported responses to medication therapy management services for older adults: analysis of a 5-year program. Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy. Vol. 8, No. 3: 217-227. DOI: 10.1016/j.sapharm.2011.07.001.
- WC Tung, M Lu, D Cook. . Cervical Cancer Screening Among Taiwanese Women: A Transtheoretical Approach. Oncology Nursing Forum. Vol. 37, No. 4 (July): 288-294.
- LA Davidson, CT Pettis, AJ Joiner, DM Cook, CM Klugman. . Religion and Conscientious Objection: A Survey of Pharmacists' Willingness to Dispense Medications. Social Science & Medicine 71 (1) July: 161-165.
- DM Cook. . The recession may increase potential for conflicts of interest in science: A comment on ‘A delicate diplomatic situation’. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 63: 818-819. (Invited Commentary).
- DM Cook, WL Lee, W Yang. . Factors Associated with Total Restrictions on Smoking at Work and at Home: A study among populations in multiple US states and the US Virgin Islands. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health. Vol. 15 No. 4, October-December: 392-401.
- WC Tung, M Lu, DM Cook. . Papanicolaou Screening in Taiwan: Perceived Barriers and Self-Efficacy. Health Care for Women International. Accepted September 2009.
- Cook DM, Mburia-Mwalili A. . Medication therapy management favors large pharmacy chains and creates potential conflicts of interest. Journal of Managed Care Pharmacy. Jul-Aug;15(6):495-500.
- Cook DM, Bero LA. . The Politics of Smoking in Federal Buildings: An Executive Order Case Study. American Journal of Public Health. Jul 16. [ePub ahead of print].
- WC Tung, M Lu, DM Cook. . Cervical Cancer Screening Among Taiwanese Women: A Transtheoretical Approach. Oncology Nursing Forum. Accepted June 2009.
- Cook DM, Boyd EA, Grossmann C, Bero LA. . Journalists and conflicts of interest in science: beliefs and practices. Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics.
- DM Cook, RK Gurugubelli*, LA Bero. . Risk-Management Policy and Black Box Warnings: A Qualitative Analysis of US FDA Proceedings. Drug Safety 32 (11): 1057-1066.
- DM Cook, EA Boyd, C Grossmann, LA Bero. . Reporting Science and Conflicts of Interest in the Lay Press. PLoS ONE, 2(12): e1266. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0001266DM.
- DM Cook & LA Bero. . Identifying Carcinogens: The Tobacco Industry and Regulatory Politics in the United States. International Journal of Health Services, Vol. 36 No. 4, 747-766.
- NT Nguyen, DM Cook, & LA Bero. . The Decision-Making Process of US Food and Drug Administration Advisory Committees on Switches from Prescription to Over-the-Counter Status: A Comparative Case Study. Clinical Therapeutics, Vol. 28 No. 8, August: 1231-1243.
- A Baba, DM Cook, TO McGarity, and LA Bero. . Legislating 'Sound Science': The Role of the Tobacco Industry. American Journal of Public Health, Vol. 95, No. S1, July: S20-S27.
- DM Cook and AJ Polsky. . Political Time Reconsidered: Unbuilding and Rebuilding the State under the Reagan Administration. American Politics Research, Vol 33 No 4 July: 577-605.
- DM Cook, EK Tong, SA Glantz, & LA Bero. . The Power of Paperwork: How Philip Morris Neutralized the Medical Code for Secondhand Smoke. Health Affairs, Vol. 24 No. 4, July/August: 994-1004.