ScienceFIT is REQUIRED for all incoming College of Science freshmen
AUGUST 19-24, 2017
What is ScienceFIT?
The College of Science is proud to offer ScienceFIT. ScienceFIT, which served as the University's first NevadaFIT program, is a six-day, intensive academic program designed to increase success for incoming College of Science freshmen. The program offers a glimpse into the University's rigorous academic expectations and college life prior to the start of the semester.
What is SCI 109?
ALL College of Science freshmen will be enrolled into the ScienceFIT course, SCI 109 (1 credit, S/U), for Fall 2017 as part of the Advanced Registration process.
ScienceFIT participants will:
- Get a jump start on required course content
- Attend lectures from the faculty who teach required first-year science courses
- Visit research labs and learn about exciting research your faculty are engaged in
- Participate in review sessions, take exams, and exam results discussions
- Complete homework assignments
- Learn about available campus resources for success
- Become familiar with the University campus - where buildings are located, travel time, etc.
- Become familiar with the University classroom setting
- Work and study in groups with your peers
- Interact with faculty from your department, your academic advisors, and Pack Mentors (upperclassmen in your major)
- Become familiar with using on-line course components, technology, and resources such as WebCampus
What To Bring:
- Scientific, non-programmable calculator (for example, a TI 30)
- #2 Pencils
- Laptop computer or tablet and accessories (see below)
- Headphones or earbuds for your laptop
- Power cord or back up battery for laptop
Housing for ScienceFIT
Participants who have been approved as residents in one of the University's residence halls for the academic year have the option to move into their assigned room on August 19, 2017 (Saturday) for an additional $158.75 housing fee at your designated check-in time.
The $158.75 housing fee must be paid by July 17, 2017. You will receive your housing assignment from the Housing Office and designate your check-in time in July.
NOTE: Guests (family members, friends, etc) are not allowed in residence halls rooms without the student present.
WolfCards (University's photo ID card for students) are required to access the residence hall building and room after the initial check-in; the WolfCard office is located on the 2nd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union. Make sure to bring a valid U.S. State or Federally issued photo ID or passport.
Please contact the Housing Office at (775) 784-1113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions.
- If you will be arriving before August 19, 2017, you will need to arrange for your own lodging.
- Participants who have an on-campus housing contract for academic year 2017-2018, but do NOT wish to pay the additional housing fee for the ScienceFIT early move-in are responsible for arranging their own housing during ScienceFIT.
- Participants who are NOT planning to live in the residence halls during the academic year are responsible for arranging their own housing during ScienceFIT.
- If you will be parking on campus for the week of ScienceFIT, you will be required to have a parking pass. If you purchased a parking pass for the Fall semester, it will be valid during ScienceFIT in the West Stadium Parking Garage (4th level only).
- ScienceFIT students who have not purchased a Fall semester parking permit may download this free parking pass, good for parking on the 4th level of the West Stadium Parking Garage from August 19-24.
- The free parking pass can be used for the NevadaFIT Kick Off event on 8/19
2017 ScienceFIT Program Schedule
*Schedule is subject to change