2020 competition details & guidelines
Open to all current full-time undergraduate and graduate students with majors in the College of Science. Open to individuals and teams.
Choose a Theme
- Live a Life of Discovery
- The Science of Everyday Life
- Science for All
- Breaking Barriers: Diversity in Science
- Science Saves the World
- The registration deadline is Monday, November 23, 2020
- The video submission deadline is Monday, November 30, 2020.
Reward: Fame - and prize money
Students enrolled across all sections of SCI 110 serve as judges for the competition. Traditionally, all SCI 110 students have gathered in DMSC to view and rank video submissions. This viewing and ranking of videos has served as the final exam for all sections of SCI 110. This year the viewing and ranking of videos will occur via Zoom. Because it occurs earlier in Finals Week, the final exam date for SCI 110 sections that meet on Monday evenings is used as the final exam date/time for all SCI 110 sections. For Fall 2020, the final exam date for all SCI 110 sections is Friday, December 11, 2020 at 5:00 PM and 7:00 PM. Students can participate as teams, but the monetary prize for the three winning videos will be disbursed to the student identified as the for the team.
- 1st Place: $350
- 2nd Place: $250
- 3rd Place: $150
Visit the Nevada Science Youtube channel to view previous video submissions.
- No more than 2 minutes long, including title and credits.
- Must have a title and include at least one clear visual or audio mention of the College of Science and/or Mackay School of Earth Sciences and Engineering.
- Must be suitable for use as promotional material for the College of Science (no profanity, violence, defamatory statements, nudity; no invading the privacy rights of any person or entity).
- No copyrighted material may be used, including footage, stills, animation, and music.
- Must be submitted on labeled USB as a.MOV, or .MP4 file. The USB will be returned to you.
- 1920x1080 pixel ratio preferred
- Video competition winners will be asked to have their video caption by Teaching and Learning Services before they are able to be shared online
Video Equipment Rentals
You can rent and use a wide variety of video equipment and editing software (and learn how to use it) at the Knowledge Center's @One.
- Audience appeal
- Depiction of the chosen theme
- Adherence to the rules