Information Technology/Computer Support
The College of Science is served by two dedicated Information Technology professionals, as well as the University Office of Information Technology.
Mike Zierten, Research Computing System Administrator
Mike Zierten (x26612) provides the following primary services. Contact him with your research computing questions and requests, and he will either help you directly, or facilitate contact with the correct Central IT unit. Also, contact Mike if you have old computer equipment that needs to be surplused.
- Technical administrative support for high performance Linux clusters and servers used for research in the College of Science
- Needs analysis, research and planning for new and emerging technologies to support research in the College of Science
- Supervision, training and mentoring of students hired to provide research computing support within departments
Kate Maloy, Information Technology Technician V
Kate Maloy (x26617) provides the following primary services. Contact her with your computer teaching laboratory needs and requests, and for specialized desktop/laptop support. General desktop support requests should go to the University Help Desk.
- Diagnostics, service and repair of microcomputers and peripheral hardware and software for computer equipment in the College of Science teaching laboratories
- Upgrade installations, modifications, and relocations of microcomputers and peripheral hardware and software in the College of Science teaching laboratories
- Customer support for faculty and students utilizing the College of Science teaching laboratories
Research Software/Hardware Available
- LabView (full site license available for research and teaching)
- ESRI (ArcMap, ArcServer) installed for a nominal fee
- Other software packages are available for order through the University Software Portal
- The Pronghorn Supercomputer
Through UNR Remote Services:
- Geometer's Sketchpad
- IMB SPSS Statistics
- Hardware purchases with University funds must be Enterprise level. Contact Kate Maloy with needs and specifications, or use the University purchasing programs directly.
- Software packages are available for order through the University Software Portal
College of Science Educational Computer Laboratories
Always check the functioning of laboratory software before class begins. To have software installed, contact Kate Maloy at x26617 at least two (2) weeks prior to the start of class. Ideally, contact Kate Maloy at the end of each semester with requests for the following semester.
Davidson Mathematics and Science 106 (contact Melissa Bell to schedule this lab)
- ESRI ARcMap
- Google Earth
Mackay Science 221 and 222 (contact Prisilia Maldonado-Masegian for lab availability)
- ESRI ArcMap
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Microsoft Office 365