Faculty research travel grants for CLA and RSJ
The Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation is pleased to announce the Faculty Research Travel Grants program for the College of Liberal Arts and the Reynolds School of Journalism. The program will provide funding in support of research, scholarly and creative projects that require travel outside of the Reno/Tahoe/Sparks area. Grants will not support requests for conference or workshop travel. Travel associated with instructional activities and sabbaticals will not be supported through this funding mechanism.
Full-time tenured and tenure-track faculty members from the College of Liberal Arts and the Reynolds School of Journalism are eligible.
Funding requests should be up to $3,000.
Travel, hotels, meals, parking fees, and fees related to accessing a museum, library, collection, archive, studio, archeological site, or other relevant venue related to the purpose for the application. All expenditures must comply with University and NSHE travel policies.
- A cover letter that should include: (i) a summary of the research or creative project (400 to 450 words), (ii) justification for travel (no more than 100 words), (iii) a timeline for completion of the travel and resulting project; and (iv) information about external funding for which the applicant has already applied or plans to apply for in order to support the continued development of the project.
- Any letters of permission or invitations (e.g., from libraries, collections, recording studios) needed to access resources at the site to which the applicant plans to travel.
- Budget with justification (one-page limit). Please see below for a budget template.
- Current abbreviated CV (three-page limit).
- A letter of support from the applicant’s department chair with the dean’s endorsement.
- The full application package should be emailed by the applicant’s dean as a single PDF to Ahmad Itani (firstname.lastname@example.org). All queries should be addressed to Ahmad Itani.
- Deadline for receipt of the application package is Friday, November 15, 2019 by 5 p.m.
Criteria adapted from the National Endowment of the Humanities (NEH) criteria for Fellowships, Summer Stipends, and Public Scholar Program.
- The quality of the conception, definition, organization, and description of the project, and the importance of the travel request to the successful completion of the project.
- The intellectual significance of the proposed project, including its value to liberal arts or journalism scholars, general audiences, or both.
- The applicant’s record of research and scholarly work as an interpreter of the liberal arts and/or media.
- Evidence that the applicant has permission to access any archives, collections, etc. that are the basis of the project and the reason for the travel.
- The likelihood that the applicant will complete the project, manuscript, book, recording, etc.
- Evidence of external funding applications—current or future, and/or the potential of the project to gain external funding.
The five-member evaluation committee will be comprised of:
- Two faculty members from CLA—Nominated by the Dean of CLA
- One faculty member from Journalism—Nominated by the Dean of Journalism
- One faculty member from CLA or Journalism—Nominated by the Faculty Senate
- One faculty member from Research & Innovation
Deliverables & Reporting
Travel grant recipients are required to submit a one-page report within three months of the end of their research travel summarizing outcomes, such as publications, monographs, exhibitions, and/or other scholarly, artistic and creative accomplishments related to the award. Please plan to present at the annual Research & Innovation showcase poster session in the spring semester.
All award recipients should acknowledge the support from the University of Nevada, Reno in all publications, monographs, presentations, and activities stemming from the award.
|1||Air/rail/bus/etc. fare||$ –|
|2||Personal car (miles driven x mileage rate)||$ –|
|7||Other fees (entrance to a museum, etc.), if applicable||$ –|