Registration to view the Picture a Scientist film
University of Nevada, Reno faculty, staff and students are invited to view this groundbreaking documentary and join a post-viewing discussion.
Picture a Scientist, an official selection of the 2020 Tribeca Film Festival, is a feature‐length documentary chronicling the groundswell of researchers who are writing a new chapter for women scientists and working to create a new, diverse and inclusive culture for our workplaces and disciplines rooted primarily in the sciences. Through the 97-minute film, three scientists – a biologist, a chemist and a geologist – lead viewers on a journey deep into their own experiences overcoming harassment, institutional discrimination and years of subtle slights. The film also encounters scientific luminaries who enrich the story through their perspectives.
Access to view Picture a Scientist on your own will be available from Friday, Feb. 5 at noon through Thursday, Feb. 11 at noon. Registration is required, and we will send you a link and password to access the producer's online screening room when the film opens. This presentation is exclusively available to University of Nevada, Reno faculty, staff and students.
Please also plan to join the post-viewing, one-hour panel discussion featuring several of our colleagues from across campus.
- Moderator: Melanie Duckworth, Ph.D., Associate Dean and Associate Professor of Psychology, College of Science
- Wendy Calvin, Ph.D., Foundation Professor and Chair of Geological Sciences & Engineering, College of Science
- Kelly Cross, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Chemical & Materials Engineering, College of Engineering
- Monika Gulia-Nuss, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, College of Agriculture, Biotechnology & Natural Resources
- Lucia Notterpek, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Biomedical Research and Professor of Physiology & Cell Biology, University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine
- Marin Pilloud, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Anthropology, College of Liberal Arts
Thursday, Feb. 11, 4-5 p.m.
Research & Innovation
In partnership with
Office of the President | Office of the Provost | Office of Diversity & Inclusion | University Libraries and Teaching & Learning Technologies
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.