Student Researchers (SR)
Thirty-two high school students will be selected to participate each year of the project. These selected students will receive full scholarships to attend a summer residential research program at designated facilities within the College of Education and the School of Medicine. During this inquiry-based, youth-led intensive summer program, SRs will learn to perform hypothesis-driven research, receive instruction and content in STEM/health care, explore a variety of topics in STEM, polish their communication and writing skills, and receive year-round mentoring from upper division UNR Leadership Trainees (LT). Additionally, SR will participate in family-engaged career exploration, community outreach and internship experiences.
Eligibility of applicants is based on the following:
- Self-identified as bilingual in English-Spanish
- 3.0 Grade Point Average
- Entering 11th grade Fall of 2018
- From a low-income family
- Interested in STEM or healthcare fields
- 1st generation (neither parent has graduated from a 4-year college or university)
- From an underrepresented minority group
- US citizen or permanent resident
Recruitment will begin in Spring 2018 and applications will be posted at that time.