Student Researchers (SR)
¿Hablas español? Have you ever thought about a career in health care? CBESS, a new program at the University of Nevada, Reno is looking for bilingual English-Spanish high school juniors to be part of a once in a lifetime experience at no cost.
**Student Researchers (high school students) MUST complete the application and consent process on paper and mail or fax the forms. SRs CANNOT complete these processes online!**
CBESS will select 32 bilingual Northern Nevada high school juniors to participate in the following free programming:
- Career Exploration Events - Participants and parents will meet and interact with healthcare professionals. Parents will receive a small stipend for attending these events. Dates (subject to change) are:
- Program Orientation and Career Exploration Event #1: March 2nd, 8:30am-11:30am
- Career Exploration Event #2: April 13th, 9:00am-11:00am
- Career Exploration Event #3 May 4th, 9:00am-11:00am
- Summer Program Orientation and Career Exploration Event #4: June 8th, 8:30am-11:30am
- Summer Residential Research Program - Participants will live on the University of Nevada, Reno campus for three weeks, attend daily classes (conducted in both English and Spanish) and create a student-led research project about a community health issue. SRs will learn to perform hypothesis-driven research, receive instruction and content in STEM and health care, tour a variety of research and health care facilities, and polish their communication and writing skills. Participants will arrive Sunday evenings and return home for the weekends on Friday afternoons. Dates (subject to change) for the summer program are:
- Week 1: July 7-12
- Week 2: July 14-19
- Week 3: July 21-26
- Final Dissemination Event: July 26th at 9am
- Near-Peer Mentoring - Participants will match with a bilingual undergraduate (Leadership Trainee) to receive monthly mentoring during senior year.
- Internship / Volunteering -Participants will apply for positions assisting at research labs, clinics, and hospitals during senior year.
CBESS will select an additional 64 Northern Nevada high school juniors who will not receive the above programming, but will receive:
- Gift Card - Participants will receive a $150 gift card for completing questionnaires throughout their junior and senior years
Who should apply?
- Northern Nevada high school juniors
- Spanish-English bilingual
- 3.0 GPA
- Interested in healthcare careers
- First generation students
- Income qualified
We are now accepting applications for Student Researchers. The application deadline is November 16, 2018. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a paper copy of the Consent Forms and Application! Applications and Consent forms must be completed on paper and faxed or mailed to:
Raggio Research Center for STEM Education c/o CBESS
University of Nevada, Reno M/S 0432
Reno, NV 89557