Leadership Trainees (LT)
The University of Nevada, Reno is excited to announce a new educational research grant that will train Spanish-English bilingual undergraduates. Undergraduate participants, or Leadership Trainees (LTs), will receive professional development in a variety of areas to prepare them to guide high school Student Researchers (SRs) through CBESS programming. Leadership Trainees will be provided intensive professional development workshops. They will gain experience and practice with inquiry-based instruction and strategies to engage the Student Researchers in STEM-health care content. In addition, LTs will receive training in the Responsible Conduct of Research and mentoring skills. Leadership Trainees will practically apply this knowledge by mentoring and guiding the SRs through the program. LTs will receive a stipend for their participation.
CBESS will select 4 bilingual undergraduates to participate in the following programming:
- Professional Development - Teaching STEM-healthcare content, responsible conduct of research, positioning high school participants, and best practices in mentoring.
- Career Exploration Events - LTs will attend 4 Career Exploration Events and meet local health care professionals.Dates (subject to change) are:
- Program Orientation and Career Exploration Event #1: March 2nd, 8:30am-11:30am
- Career Exploration Event #2: April 13th, 9:00am-11:00am
- Career Exploration Event #3 May 4th, 9:00am-11:00am
- Summer Program Orientation and Career Exploration Event #4: June 8th, 8:30am-11:30am
- Summer Residential Research Program - Participants will live on the University of Nevada, Reno campus for three weeks, teach daily classes and supervise student research projects. Leadership Trainees will arrive Sunday afternoons and go home for the weekends on Friday afternoons. Dates (subject to change) for the summer program are:
- Week 1: July 7-12
- Week 2: July 14-19
- Week 3: July 22-26
- Finally Dissemination Event: July 26th at 9am
- Near-Peer Mentoring - Participants will match with a bilingual high school student to mentor monthly.
LTs will receive up to $4000 stipend for their participation in the program.
Eligibility of applicants is based on the following:
- Spanish-English bilingual
- Interested in STEM or health care careers
- Undergraduates taking upper-division STEM classes
- Mentoring / teaching experience
- First generation students
- Studying in the College of Education, Science, Community Health, and Agriculture, Biotechnology, and Natural Resources, or Nevada INBRE Biomedical program
We are now accepting Leadership Trainee applications! The application deadline is November 16, 2018.