In-Person MPH Program Admissions
Master of Public Health, Admission Requirements and Process: The Admissions Committee seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds who have the qualifications and credentials to succeed in public health practice. The multi-faceted nature of the public health profession now demands students from diverse educational and professional backgrounds. We welcome inquiries and applications from anyone who has a passion for improving the health of our communities. Therefore, while we seek students who meet both University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) and School of Community Health Sciences (SCHS) requirements for graduate status, we consider other important attributes such as volunteer and professional experiences, career objectives, and potential to contribute to the public health profession. Prospective students must meet the graduate admission requirements of both the University of Nevada, Reno and School of Community Health Sciences, per the following guidelines:
- Regular fall admission: The application deadline for the MPH program is April 15. However, to receive full consideration for Graduate Assistantships, Fellowships, and Merit graduate student awards, applicants are encouraged to submit their application by February 1. Only one MPH cohort is admitted each year. If you miss the deadline and would like to discuss enrolling in graduate special coursework that could be applied to the MPH program, please contact Dr. Kristen Clements-Nolle, Director of Graduate Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher learning, with an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4-point scale. If your undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 but higher than 2.75 your application will be considered if your GPA in the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework is 3.0 or higher. If you graduated from an international college or university, please contact The Graduate School for approval of your undergraduate degree for graduate studies at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- GRE Scores: Competitive Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores on verbal, quantitative and analytic measures. GRE scores of accepted students are typically above the 40th percentile. However, scores are assessed relative to other applicants in the pool and considered in the context of the overall application package. The exam must have been taken within the last five (5) years. MCAT or GMAT scores may be substituted for the GRE. The GRE is not required for applicants who have already obtained a PhD, MD, DDS, DrPH, or master's degree from institutions approved by the School of Community Health Sciences or the UNR Graduate School.
- TOEFL Scores: English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores are required for applicants from non-English speaking nations. The minimum threshold is 550 for the TOEFL paper exam, 80 for the internet-based exam, and 6.5 for International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Three letters of recommendation: Letters of recommendation from individuals who can evaluate the applicant's motivation, academic capability, scholarship potential, and personal goals for graduate study.
- Statement of Purpose. The essay should be approximately 500 words in length, outlining the student's interest in graduate study in public health, potential research interests, career objectives, and specifying the MPH emphasis of interest (Biostatistics; Epidemiology; Health Administration and Policy; Social and Behavioral Health)
- Resume or CV: Current resume or curriculum vitae (CV) that demonstrates professional and/or educational health-related experience.
MPH Program Prerequisite Coursework
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate course in statistics.
MPH Application Process
- Two separate applications are necessary for admission to the Master of Public Health program: One application package is submitted directly to SOPHAS; The second application package is submitted to The Graduate School of the University of Nevada, Reno. Before applying for admission, please note the admission requirements above.
MPH Application 1
The following materials should be submitted directly to SOPHAS:
- Transcripts. One official copy of transcripts from ALL undergraduate and graduate institutions attended.
- GRE Scores. Submit OFFICIAL GRE scores by using the University of Nevada, Reno SOPHAS code 7828.
- Other Standardized Test Scores. Submit OFFICIAL standardized test scores other than the GRE, including the TOEFL, IELTS (for international students) and MCAT or GMAT (if substituting for the GRE). TOEFL scores can be submitted using the University of Nevada, Reno SOPHAS code 7828.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Resume or CV
MPH Application 2
A very short application to the UNR Graduate School is also required, but you will not need to re-submit the other materials submitted to SOPHAS. Fees for the UNR application will be covered by the School of Community Health Sciences.
To start the UNR application, follow these directions:
- Access the application through: unr.force.com
- Click create account to create a username and password and then log in and begin the short application.
- At the end of the application, there is an "Application Fee Waiver" section with instructions. The coupon code to use is CHS2020.
- Enter the coupon code (CHS2020) and click "save and review."
- After you finish reviewing click "save and pay".
- This will take you to next page where you will select "request a waiver" and then "submit waiver request". This can take a few minutes, but please wait for it to finish. You should get a congratulations page when it is complete.
Please be aware that you will not be considered for admission until you have submitted a completed SOPHAS application and the UNR Graduate School application.
For comprehensive information about the program, please see Public Health, MPH in the UNR General Catalog.
For any remaining questions that are not answered at the suggested links, please contact Dr. Kristen Clements-Nolle, Graduate Program Director.