- Ph.D., Psychology, University of Florida, 2008
- M.S., Psychology, University of Florida, 2005
- B.A., Philosophy, University of Florida, 1996
- B.S., Psychology, University of Florida, 1996
Matthew Locey received his doctoral degree from the University of Florida in 2008, where he specialized in the experimental analysis of behavior and behavioral pharmacology (with Jesse Dallery). He was a postdoctoral research associate in behavioral economics at Stony Brook University (with Howard Rachlin) until 2012.
His research program focuses on examining the basic behavioral processes underlying seemingly irrational choices. This has ranged from studies on risky choice and impulsive choice in smokers, nonsmokers and rats; to studies on altruistic choice in both pigeons and New Yorkers.
- Behavioral ecology
- Behavioral economics
- Behavioral pharmacology
- Conditioned reinforcement
- Discounting (delay, magnitude, probability, social, etc.)
- Experimental analysis of behavior
- Impulsive choice
- Motivating operations
- Quantitative models of choice
- Risky choice
- Elementary Analysis of Behavior
- Experimental Analysis of Behavior
- Experimental Analysis of Human Behavior
- Radical Behaviorism
Psychology 472: Experimental Analysis of Behavior
- Locey, M.L. & Rachlin, H. (2013). Shaping Behavioral Patterns. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, 99, 245-259.
- Locey, M.L., Safin, V., & Rachlin, H. (2013). Social Discounting and the Prisoner's Dilemma Game. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, 99, 85-97.
- Locey, M.L., Jones, B.A., & Rachlin, H. (2013). Self-Control and Altruism. In Madden, G. J. (Editor-in-Chief), Hackenberg, T., & Lattal, K.A. (Associate Editors), APA Handbook of Behavior Analysis: Volume 1. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.
- Locey, M.L. & Rachlin, H. (2012). Commitment and Self-Control in a Prisoner's Dilemma Game. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, 98, 89-103.
- Locey, M.L. & Rachlin, H. (2012). The Temporal Dynamics of Cooperation. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 25, 257-263.
- Locey, M.L., Jones, B.A., & Rachlin, H. (2011). Real and hypothetical rewards in self-control and social discounting. Judgment and Decision Making, 6, 552-564.
- Locey, M.L. & Dallery, J. (2011). Nicotine and the Behavioral Mechanisms of Intertemporal Choice. Behavioural Processes, 87, 18-24.
- Locey, M.L. & Dallery, J. (2009). Isolating Behavioral Mechanisms of Inter-Temporal Choice: Nicotine Effects on Delay Discounting and Amount Sensitivity. Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior, 91, 225-251.
- Locey, M.L., Pietras, C.J., & Hackenberg, T.D. (2009). Human Risky Choice: Delay Sensitivity Depends on Reinforcer Type. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Animal Behavior Processes, 35, 15-22.