The President has delegated the approval of Emeritus promotion to the Executive Vice President & Provost. The policies and procedures for recommendation and approval of Emeritus are contained in the University Administrative Manual, Section 2,580.
Emeritus Faculty Status
- After submitting a notice of retirement to the supervisor, faculty members desiring consideration for Emeritus appointment should complete the Request for Emeritus Appointment form.
This form should be routed through the faculty member's supervisor or chair and dean or vice president to the Provost's office.
- Upon approval, the faculty member will receive a letter of notification from the Executive Vice President & Provost. In addition, the individual's name will be placed on the official Emeritus Faculty list maintained by the Provost's Office.
- Faculty members applying for and receiving an Emeritus promotion prior to February 28 will be invited to attend the May Honor the Best ceremony and be recognized and receive a plaque. In addition, new Emeritus faculty are special guests at a reception held during the summer each year.
- On the effective date of retirement, Emeritus Faculty will be listed as such in the Workday HR and Financial System and can edit their contact information as needed.
Emeritus Faculty Privileges
- Emeritus Faculty members will be listed in the University's online directory.
University Catalog Listing
- Emeritus faculty members names and official emeritus titles are listed in the University's catalog.
- Emeritus faculty are entitled to receive a faculty identification card (WolfCard), which can be obtained at the WolfCard Office in the Joe Crowley Student Union. Emeritus faculty with WolfCards are entitled to receive Faculty/Staff admission rates, if applicable, for many university events.
- WolfCards are required for all transactions regarding library books and materials.
- Emeritus Faculty will continue to have a university email account.
Adjunct or Volunteer Status
- Emeritus Faculty may continue to serve the university in an adjunct or volunteer capacity.
- Emeritus faculty may receive a free green parking permit and the option to purchase a parking permit for a closer zone, pending availability.
- In rare instances, emeritus faculty may be assigned office space, if it is available, and the emeritus faculty member's formal university activities require office space. See UAM section 5,403.
- Emeritus faculty and professional staff, their spouses and financially dependent children are eligible for grant-in-aid privileges equivalent to those provided in the Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 11.
E. L. Wiegand Fitness Center
- UNR campus recreation facilities are available to all emeritus faculty and retired NSHE employees. Passes must be purchased at the membership desk in the E.L. Wiegand Fitness Center.
Academic Events and Ceremonies
- Emeritus Faculty are invited to participate in many academic events and ceremonies.
- The flags may be lowered upon the death of an emeritus faculty member, at the discretion of the president.
- Emeritus faculty may receive one complimentary box of university business cards. Contact the Office of the Provost for details.