H1-B physician and clinical position information

At the start of your employment at the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine, you need to complete a check-in process with OISS. This can be done via mail, please contact Patrick O'Rourke at porourke@unr.edu for more details.

Refer to the information below regarding H1-B applications in residency or other clinical positions at the University of Nevada, Reno.

  • H1-B processing time

    Regular processing. Regular processing of H-1B petition ensures the approval of the petition within 3-4 months from the time the petition is received by USCIS.

    Premium processing. Premium processing speeds up the process by two weeks.

    It is highly recommended you pay the premium processing fee to ensure a timely approval of the petition. Some departments (e.g., Internal Medicine) require all applicants pay for premium processing.

    Also, keep in mind an additional time four weeks+ is needed by your department and OISS to prepare the paperwork required for filing the petition. You should start the process no later than early April.

  • H1-B processing fees

    Both the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) charge fees for processing of H-1B paperwork.

    USCIS H1-B filing fees

    Regular processing: $960

    Premium processing: $960 + $1,225

    OISS fees

    Preparing the petition: $1,200

    The medical school is required to pay the USCIS filing fee of $960. The payment of the premium processing fee ($1,225) and OISS fee ($1,200) is negotiable between you and the program director. Commonly, the resident pays the premium processing and OISS fees. 

    Personal checks are acceptable, with checks made to the "Board of Regents" for payments to OISS. 

  • U.S. consulate approval for H1-B

    If you are applying for an H1-B from from overseas, do note you still need to apply for an entry visa to the United States at a consulate abroad after the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approves your H1-B.

     You should contact the consulate to schedule an appointment and find out the processing times as these vary from post to post. You can enter U.S. only up to tem days earlier than the start date of our approval listed on I-797 notice which is the same as the start of your residency program (July 1).

    This may affect your ability to start the orientation program on time, so please discuss this issue with your residency coordinator.

  • Employer-sponsored information for J-1 or H1-B status

    H-1B is an employer sponsored petition and the department must sponsor you for H-1B status. It is entirely up to the residency director to decide whether a resident will be sponsored for H-1B or J-1 status.

    Please contact your residency program director to discuss these options.

  • J-1 alien status

    The Office of Students and Scholars (OISS) at the University of Nevada, Reno cannot assist you to secure J-1 alien physician category, but we do provide assistance with H-1B status. If you use our services, you do not need an immigration lawyer. You will be asked to complete an H-1B Employee Form and submit the form to your residency coordinator along with other documents listed on the checklist.

  • Social Security number requirements

    In order to be employed in the United States, you need a Social Security number (SSN)

    If you do not yet have a social security card, please be aware that you can only apply for a SSN once you enter U.S. in H-1B status or the change of status to H-1B is approved. The medical license can be issued only after you have obtained a SSN.

    You should be able to find out your social security number before you receive the card. Please ask about that at the time of filing your application with Social Security office. 

    More information about Social Security numbers and cards

  • United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) requirements

    The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires that applicants who graduated from foreign medical school (including Canada) that apply for H-1B status/visa must have United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) step I, II & III scores at the time of applying.

    If you do not have USMLE step III, you should consider J-1 status.

    Please contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) for information on how to apply for J-1 alien physician category at (215) 386-5900.

  • Medical license requirements

    All clinical positions require you have a medical license by the start of your employment (July 1, in most cases). You should take steps to apply for a license with the Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners (NSBME) as soon as possible. Securing a medical license is a joint process between you and your residency program. For more information and a list of documents to be filed please contact the coordinator of your program and visit the Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners (NSBME) website.

    Requesting a visa letter

    Once you have applied for the license, please ask the license specialist at NSBME to issue a "visa letter". This letter is required to ensure a successful approval of H-1B petition by USCIS. If a letter is not included, USCIS may deny the petition.

    To provide this letter to a resident NSBME must have at the minimum 3 things on file:

    • A notarized application form
    • Form 1: Verification of Medical Education completed and sent directly from your medical school
    • Official transcript of your medical degree also sent directly from your institution
    • Form 2: Certificate of Completion of Progressive Postgraduate Training (only if you have completed other training programs)

    We recommend that you communicate directly with your license specialist at NSBME to ensure a prompt response to your request. License specialists are assigned based on your last name. Contact NSBME to find your license specialist.

    Be aware NSBME will only issue the medical license once they have received all documents listed on the application checklist and verified your H-1B status with the immigration service.

    Starting the verification process

    As soon as you receive I-797 H-1B approval notice from OISS, please forward a copy to your NSBME license specialist to start the verification process. The verification may take 2 or more weeks, which means you should start the H-1B process early. Throughout the process please stay in constant communication with your license specialist. Any delay in obtaining a medical license may result in completing the residency off cycle.