Scholarships and Financial Aid

Nevada provides high quality education at competitive price with a variety of funding opportunities. Approximately 80% of international graduate students receive graduate assistantships from academic departments. Financial Aid & Scholarships presentation from the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

OISS Awards

  • International Student Awards are offered to currently enrolled international undergraduate students. Nominations are made based on GPA.
  • Kayoko Okumoto Scholarship is offered to undergraduate and graduate students; preference is given to students from Japan.
  • Wilter Ocampo Scholarship is offered to undergraduate and graduate Bolivian students.
  • Neslihan Aybek Memorial Scholarship is offered to undergraduate and graduate female students that are citizens of Turkey.

OISS Awards Eligibility

  • Any continuing or new F-1 or J-1 student enrolled in a degree-seeking program at the University.
  • Continuing students who have completed the Graduate and Undergraduate Scholarship Application in MyNEVADA between November 1 and February 1 annually, video.
  • Students that meet the University Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements.
  • Undergraduate students with a total cumulative University GPA of at least 2.75 and graduate students with a total cumulative University GPA of at least a 3.0 in graduate level courses.
  • During the semester(s) of the award, undergraduate students must be enrolled in 15 University credits. Graduate students must be enrolled in 9 University credits or 6 with graduate assistantship).
    • Last semester students may enroll in at least 6 credits and must have applied for graduation to receive their semester award.
    • Students may be enrolled less than full-time with a Disability Resource Center approved reduced course load.
  • Students may have other scholarships and awards.

OISS Awards Application Process

Continuing Students: To be eligible for any scholarships/awards, you MUST complete the Graduate & Undergraduate Scholarship (GUS) Application in your MyNEVADA account between October 1 and February 1 annually by going to Student Center, Supplemental Forms, Scholarship Application. The GUS application is available until May 31 but scholarship application preference is given to those that complete by February 1. The GUS application is required to be eligible for scholarships/awards offered by OISS and many other University departments.

New Students: Your application to the University is your scholarship application. No further applications are required. Applications received by February 1 are given priority consideration.

OISS Awards Notification and Disbursement

  • Recipients are notified through email by the Financial Aid Office if they receive the award.
  • The International Student Award will be credited directly to the student's account through the Financial Aid Office as long as all the criteria are met.
  • Disbursements typically begin 1 week prior to the 1st day of class. Students may verify if any funds have been disbursed by checking Financial Aid Disbursements through their MyNEVADA account.
    • If you receive an award and the funds have not been disbursed by the semester fee due date, pay your tuition and you will be reimbursed, if necessary, when the funds are disbursed.
  • Awards are for the academic year are split in half per semester.
    • Students graduating in fall get the award for 1 semester only.

University Funding Opportunities

  • Institutional Methodology for Non-FAFSA Eligible Students: International students are not eligible to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) applications. Due to this, the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships has the Institutional Methodology for Non-FAFSA Eligible Students to allow international students to be considered for need-based scholarships. For priority consideration, complete and submit the application to the Financial Aid Office between January 31 and March 1 annually for continuing students or until April 1 for new admits. Completing this application makes students eligible for need-based scholarships and grants.
  • Undergraduate Research through the Office of Undergraduate and Interdisciplinary Research offers funded research opportunities for undergraduate students through a network of faculty mentors to guide the research projects as well as provide support for research grant proposal writing.
  • Graduate Dean's Awards are awarded to incoming and returning international graduate students. These awards are determined and awarded by the Graduate School and not by OISS.
  • Graduate Assistantships (Teaching and Research) are awarded to graduate students and are valued at an estimated $34,300 and include a monthly stipend of $1,550, a per credit grant-in-aid, health insurance, and in-state resident status for tuition purposes. The academic departments make decisions on awarding the graduate assistantships and students should contact the intended academic department directly. Assistantships do not have to be from the department you are studying in. You may find a list of available assistantships at Job Opportunities.
  • The Graduate Student Association (GSA) offers graduate students assistance in variety of ways:
    • Spring Awards: a variety of awards and scholarships are given out by GSA in a highly competitive process.
    • Travel Awards: $500 travel grants for students to attend professional conferences
    • Research, Travel, and Materials Grant Program: research grants of up to $2,500 are offered in fall and spring.
    • Need-based Services:
      • Childcare scholarships
      • Computer loans up to $1,500
      • Financial crisis grant is a one-time grant of up to $1,000
      • International student transitional loan available for incoming international students only for up to $500.
    • GSA Household Items Program distributes free furniture items and other household necessities to current graduate students.

You may also go to Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for information on scholarships offered by the University and departments on campus. 

External Scholarships and Financial Aid

Grants, Scholarships, and Loan Programs from Other Organizations. Please note, you SHOULD NOT pay to apply for any financial aid.

  • FastWeb: FastWeb claims to be the largest and most accurate scholarship search database.
  • EduPass: EduPass provides information for international students who are thinking about pursuing an undergraduate, graduate, or professional education in the United States. It also contains material of interest to international students who are already in the United States.
  • Institute of International Education: Study America is a service for qualified students wishing to study in the US at the undergraduate or graduate level who are unable to afford such study without financial assistance. Through Study America, students gain the help needed to locate and gain admission into the program of study most suited to their academic and professional goals as well as their financial reality. Founded in 1919, the Institute of International Education is America's most experienced educational exchange agency. IIE maintains offices in many overseas locations and works closely with Fulbright Commissions, educational advising centers and educational foundations worldwide.
  • International Peace Scholarship: The International Peace Scholarship Fund, established in 1949, provides scholarships for selected women from other countries for graduate study in the United States.
  • International Student: Allows students to search for scholarships based on the country they are from and/or what they will be studying.
  • NAFSA: Provides information about financing your education in the United States.


Please use loans as the last option if there is no other way to finance your studies. Please note, you SHOULD NOT pay to apply for loans. Most U.S. student loan applications require a U.S. Permanent Resident or Citizen as a co-signer.

  • International Student Loan Center: is owned and operated by Envisage International Corporation and has been helping students achieve their goals of international education since 1998. and loans for international students.
  • Sallie Mae, Inc.: Sallie Mae, Inc., the largest provider of student loans in the United States, offers some loans for international students.
  • The Global Student Loan Corporation: The Global Student Loan Corporation works with financial institutions in many countries and does not require a U.S. citizen to co-sign.