Transfer Student Checklist

Transfer student applications are accepted throughout the year. Students attending an accredited higher education institution with a minimum GPA of 2.5 and 24 or more transferable credits will be considered as "transfer" students to the University of Nevada, Reno. UNR's Transfer Center has transfer agreements set up with many community colleges in Nevada, California, Washington and other states, which students can review prior to applying to the University for specific major and school information.

Students must place into college-level English and mathematics courses, or have completed college-level English and mathematics courses prior to transfer. Test scores in ACT, SAT, AP, IB, CLEP and Accuplacer may be used as evidence of compliance to this requirement, provided that they satisfy UNR cut-offs and policy.

Students are encouraged to contact the OISS Admission Staff at with questions regarding the application process and visa issues.

To apply to the University of Nevada, Reno, international transfer students need to submit the following:

  • International Student Application with $95.00 non-refundable application fee. The fee can be paid by check, international postal order, money order, or cashier's check payable to the "Board of Regents." To pay by credit card, students should complete the application fee section on the application or apply on-line. You can also download a printable application.
  • Official transcripts showing dates of enrollment, subjects taken, grades received, graduation date and/or certificate of graduation and official transcripts from all higher education institutions attended. Transcripts must be sent directly from the institutions attended to the address below:

University of Nevada, Reno
Office of International Students and Scholars/MS0074
Reno, Nevada 89557 USA

TRANSFER CREDITS: If you are unsure about the number of transferable credits that you may have, you should submit official college transcripts with course descriptions and course outlines (syllabi) for the purpose of course evaluations.

  • Verification of having met the English requirement through one of the following options:

EXEMPTION: Please note that students coming from the following English-speaking countries are exempt from the English language testing requirements: Antigua/Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Guyana, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except for Quebec), Ghana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, Singapore, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Vincent, Trinidad & Tobago, United Kingdom and Zimbabwe.

  • Financial documents: Financial Data Form accompanied by a bank statement showing a minimum of $34,300 for Fall 2017/Spring 2018 semesters. Financial documents must be dated within the previous 12 months of application submission and may come from any dependable source, including scholarships, personal funds, or funds from the student's family. Financial documentation should be on bank letterhead.
  • Copy of passport biographical page, previous school(s) I-20(s) or DS-2019(s), visa(s), and I-94 card.
  • If you are currently attending a school in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa, please download and complete the top portion of the International Transfer Verification Form and ask your current International Student Advisor to complete the bottom part, including the SEVIS release date, and return it to our office. This will ensure the transfer of your SEVIS visa information without your needing to pay the SEVIS fee again.
  • Authorization to Release Information: If you are working with an agent or wish to give permission to another person to receive information about your application status, you need to complete and sign the Authorization to Release Information Form and return it to OISS.