J-1 Students

Students studying

Who is Eligible For J-1 Status?

Students are eligible to apply for J-1 status only if they meet one of the following criteria:

  1. They are financed by either the U.S. government, or home country government or an international organization.
  2. The program is carried out under a written agreement between the U.S. government, foreign government, foreign educational institution or state/local government.
  3. Exchange visitor is supported substantially by funding from sources other than personal or family funds.

Full-Time Enrollment

J-1 students are required to enroll full-time in school during their stay in the United States. A full-time course load means registering for a minimum of 12 credits per semester for undergraduate students or 9 credits for graduate students (6 for those receiving assistantships). Part-time enrollment is authorized only for documented medical reasons, academic reasons or during the final semester with prior approval from the International Student Advisor. Non-degree students must follow a prescribed course of study defined by their exchange agreements.

Duration of Status

J-1 students pursuing degree programs at UNR are allowed to remain in the United States for the length of time necessary to complete their studies as long as they make the required academic progress toward completion of their degree programs. Non-degree students are allowed to stay for up to 24 months as long as they follow a prescribed course of study defined by their exchange agreements.

School Transfer

J-1 students can transfer to another school. To do that, please follow the admission process at the new school and identify yourself as a J-1 Exchange Visitor in the student category. Inform the OISS advisor that you will be transferring and follow transfer instructions from the new school. Your SEVIS record will be transferred from UNR to other university.