Social Security Card

A social security card is required for students and scholars who intend to earn money in the United States. A social security card is not needed to open a bank account, although it is much more convenient to have a Social Security Number (SSN) to obtain services, such as utilities, credit cards, etc.

Official Social Security website

Applying for a Social Security Card

You must apply in person at the local Social Security Office with the documents outlined below:

Other documents:

  • Form I-20 for F-1, Form DS-2019 for J-1 students
  • J-1 scholars: Form DS-2019
  • H-1B workers: Form I-797 - approval notice
  • J-2 dependents: EAD card

F-2 and H-4 dependents are not eligible to apply

For on-campus employment for F-1 and J-1 students, upon filing for a social security card, you will be given a letter confirming your application. Give a copy of the letter to the employing department. After 2-4 weeks the card will be mailed to the address you list on your application form. Once you receive the card, please bring it to the department to have your records updated.

Local Office:

Social Security Office
1170 Harvard Way
Reno, NV 89502

Office hours: Monday to Tuesday and Thursday to Friday - 9 am to 3 pm. Wednesday - 9 am to 12 noon
Closed weekends and federal holidays

Directions: Travel East on I-80 and take I-580/US-395 South. Exit on Villanova Drive / Plumb Lane and turn right (West) onto Villanova Drive. Turn right (North) onto Harvard Way. The Social Security Office is at the corner of Vassar Street and Harvard Way.