RN to BSN
- More Info: Loading...
Currently accepting applications to the RN-BSN major for the Fall 2019 semester. Contact Dr. Lisa Thomas for more information.
To apply to the Orvis School of Nursing you must be a student at the University of Nevada, Reno.
PhD, RN, CNE, FAAN
Coordinator of RN to BSN program
Welcome to the Orvis School of Nursing RN to BSN home page. Our completion program is fully online. Whether you want to complete your Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing to advance your education, expand your skills or open up new career opportunities, the University of Nevada, Reno RN-BSN program is designed to meet the needs of the working professional nurse. As a fully on-line program, you are able to schedule the additional demands of studying and course work around your personal and professional life. All clinical experiences are community-based and can happen in your local area. The entire educational experience is very interactive and collaborative, allowing you to use your experience as a platform for professional growth.
Prerequisite courses may be taken at any university or community college. For information regarding registration and fees, please visit the Records and Registration home page.
Graduation from a National League of Nursing (NLN) or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited nursing school
- completion of required pre-requisite coursework
- a current Nevada nursing license
- a 3.00 GPA (grade point average in selected prerequisite courses). Students with less than a 3.00 GPA may be admitted on a provisional basis.
Credit by Exam
Students from NLN and CCNE accredited schools earn Credit by Exam through portfolio evaluation. The portfolio contains:
- Letter of acknowledgement from a supervisor
- Letter of intent
- Current resume
- Proof of Nevada licensure
- An evaluation fee
The portfolio is evaluated and if accepted the student is awarded 29 upper division credits. No nursing knowledge proficiency tests are required.
Online Nursing Major
All RN-BSN courses are taught online. Students with personal and professional responsibilities are often better able to manage the additional demands of school when they can schedule most of their studying and course work around their outside commitments.
Practice (clinical) courses for RNs are in the student's community or local area. All practice takes place in a community setting. Meetings between the student, preceptor and faculty are scheduled at selected times throughout the practice experience.
You will find the online educational experience very interactive and collaborative. You will have multiple opportunities to work with classmates while having an autonomous learning experience. We value collaboration in nursing and find these skills valuable in the educational experience. It is our hope that we can capitalize on the high level of expertise and knowledge you bring to the program and expand your thinking and practice into new areas. Technical help is an email, fax, or a phone call away. We are committed to your success and are confident that this will be an exciting learning experience.
RN-BSN Completion Nursing Courses in the Major
- NURS 414R: Concepts & Theories of Professional Nursing Practice
- NURS 418R: Nursing Research Methods
- NURS 435R: Community & Population Health: Theory
- NURS 438R: Community & Population Health: Practice
- NURS445R: Advanced Leadership & Management Principles for Professional Nursing
- NURS 447R: Synthesis of Professional Issues in Nursing
- NURS 457: Dimensions of Health & Wellness: Theory
For the most current listing of Division of Health Sciences classes, visit MyNEVADA or the course catalog. The course catalog will provide a more detailed description of the courses and requirements than the class schedule.
Related Degrees and Programs
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- RN to BSN
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
- Family Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Clinical Nurse Leader, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Nursing Education, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Advanced Graduate Certificate
- Master of Science in Nursing/Master of Public Health (MSN/MPH)
Contact Orvis School of Nursing
|Location||William N. Pennington Health Sciences|
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557