Accelerated 12-month second baccalaureate BSN program
Program at a glance
- Who can apply: This program is designed for graduates of a regionally accredited institution with a baccalaureate degree in science or the arts. The degree must be posted no later than June 15, 2021. No exceptions.
- Application deadlines: We accept applications one time a year in the fall. We accept 24 students for each application cycle.
- Next application deadline: Applications will open July 1st.
- How long does the program take? 12 months (January-December).
How to apply
The Orvis School of Nursing actively supports the University of Nevada, Reno's policies that ensure equal opportunity/ affirmative action.
Before entering University of Nevada, Reno – Orvis School of Nursing’s ASBSN Program, there are several actions you will need to take as part of our admissions process.
Step 1: Apply to the University
In order to apply to any Orvis School of Nursing BSN program, you must first be admitted to the University of Nevada, Reno for the semester in which you are applying to Orvis. Your transcripts must be submitted and evaluated by the University admissions office, including in-progress coursework.
*Students applying to the ASBSN program must only register at the University of Nevada, Reno as a Pre-ASBSN student. Applicants to the ASBSN program who are not registered at the University of Nevada, Reno, as an active pre-ASBSN student at the time of application reviews, will be ineligible.
University application deadlines for transfer students:
- Fall: July 1 *ASBSN program applicants must have applied to the University of Nevada, Reno by June 15
- Spring: December 15
Step 2: Review the ASBSN checklist
To help identify any requirements you’ll need to meet, as well as any prerequisite courses you’ll need to take, you can use the University's Transferology Tool.
Step 3: Complete the prerequisite course requirements
You must complete all required prerequisites before applying to our program. If you are applying for the 2021 application cycle, you can have up to two courses in progress at the time of application (Summer and Fall combined); only one of those two courses can be a science (anatomy and physiology, microbiology).
PROGRAM UPDATE: Beginning in the 2022 ASBSN program application cycle, the ASBSN program will no longer allow “in progress” courses at the time of application. All pre-requisites must be completed with a grade to be eligible to apply.
Step 4: Take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
To be admitted into our accelerated nursing program, you must take the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). The TEAS Test can only be taken through ATI. If you are taking the TEAS at an institution other than the University of Nevada, Reno, you will need to have your official transcripts sent through ATI to the Orvis School of Nursing. We will not accept transcripts sent by applicants.
Please note that ASBSN applicants can only take the TEAS exam one time per application cycle (July – June).
- To register for the TEAS exam, you will need to create a new account if you are not a current user of ATI. On the account homepage you will be able to register for a TEAS session (TEAS for Nursing Students). The institution is U of NV Reno.
- Approximately seven days before exam day, you will be emailed an assessment ID for Remote Proctoring with Proctorio Dry Run. To ensure your video, audio and computer meet the technical needs required for test day, you are encouraged to participate in this "Dry Run." The business day before the TEAS exam, you will receive an email with the Assessment ID for the TEAS exam.
- Once you have taken the TEAS test
- Enter your total score (under your personal information on the right hand side of the report) into the GPA/point calculator. The GPA calculator will determine the points awarded for your score. When submitting your application, be sure you are using the most current GPA calculator by clicking on the link provided.
- Available testing dates
- 4/6 (Tuesday)
- 4/21 (Wednesday)
- 5/13 (Thursday)
- 5/24 (Monday)
- 6/8 (Tuesday)
- 6/23 (Wednesday) Last day for ASBSN applicants to test
Step 5: Apply to the ASBSN program
Submit your online ASBSN application to the Orvis School of Nursing during the specified window.
- You must submit a completed GPA calculator with your application. Be sure to complete the GPA Calculator in its entirety or your application will not be considered.
- Read and agree to the ASBSN Readiness Assessment.
Applications for Fall 2021 admission will open mid-summer 2021 the following dates
- Applications open on Thursday, July 1, 2021, @ 8 am.
- Applications close on Thursday, July 15, 2021, @ 12 pm (noon)
- Applications submitted before July 1, 2021, at 8 am will be disqualified
- Applications submitted after July 15, 2021, at 12 pm (noon) will be disqualified
- Applications are reviewed by the Undergraduate Program Officer, the Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs, and the ASBSN Track Leader.
- Applications must be completed in their entirety, including the GPA calculator, or they will be considered ineligible.
- Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements will not be considered. The applicant will receive a letter stating the reason(s) the application was not reviewed.
- Applications that meet minimum requirements will be evaluated through a point-based matrix.
- Applicants will be ranked from highest to lowest, based on the application matrix.
- Applicants with the top 24 scores will be offered provisional admission to the OSN pre-licensure program.
- In the event of a tie, the tie-breaking candidate will be selected using the pre-nursing Nevada Residency, Health Experience, and TEAS cumulative percentile score.
Once selected, you will receive provisional acceptance to the nursing major. The admission offer is contingent upon
- Successful completion of any remaining prerequisite courses in progress at the time of application with a grade of C or above
- Negative drug screening
- Background check deemed acceptable by the Orvis School of Nursing clinical partners.
Applying to multiple BSN programs
Students are welcome to apply to more than one BSN program, if you meet the program eligibility requirements. Each program has different application requirements. The following are requirements for the ASBSN program only.
- The TEAS exam can only be taken one time per calendar year.
- The TEAS exam must only be taken through ATI.
- If accepted into the ASBSN program, any active applications to other BSN programs at Orvis will automatically become inactive.