2022 Algerian Youth Leadership Program youth participant application
Northern Nevada International Center and Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement
A Program of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State and the United States Embassy Algeria
Written application period: October 15-November 16, 2021
Video interview period: November 22-December 7, 2021
The Algerian Youth Leadership Program is a leadership development opportunity for 35 Algerian and American youth, ages 15-17. This cultural and academic exchange will take place in Reno, Nevada and Washington, DC from June 14-July 6, 2022, with an orientation in Algiers from June 10-12, 2022.
The program will employ an interactive approach both in workshops and in a range of public and community settings. Through engagement in the activities, youth and adult participants will better understand civic participation, the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democracy and the role that social enterprises play in a community. The program is highly academic and will require several work products including a post-program service project in the participant’s local community.
Please note: The safety of participants and our communities is our number one priority. In-person exchange on the dates noted above is contingent upon the stabilization of the pandemic, the easing of travel restrictions and the safety of travel. In the case that travel is not possible on these dates, the program may be held at later dates or virtually.
To be eligible to apply you must:
- Be a legal citizen of Algeria
- Be either 15, 16 or 17 years of age on June 10, 2022
- Have demonstrated English skills, sufficient for understanding academic discussion and everyday social interactions
- Have at least one year of high school remaining after the program. If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will be required to submit an original high school transcript and a school certificate to verify that you have at least one year of high school remaining. We will also contact your school to verify your enrollment status, so be sure to provide current contact information for your school.
- Have demonstrated leadership in their schools and/or communities
- Have interest in the program themes of social entrepreneurship, leadership and project development and would like to participate in academic classes and do work to develop in these areas
- Have permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian to participate in the entire program
- Not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement, or the U.S. Department of State
- have not traveled to the United States on a Department of State exchange program within the last three years
Algerian youth application instructions
The application consists of two (2) parts: an online written application and an online video interview. All parts of the application must be completed entirely in English. The information you provide in the written and video portions of the application will be used to select semifinalists for this program. Please read all instructions and answer all questions carefully and completely.
Part one: Online written application
Follow these steps to complete the online written application by 11:59 pm (GMT +1) on November 16, 2021
- Print, complete and scan the following documents. These must be uploaded to your online application:
- Letters of recommendation: two (2) typed and hand-signed letters of recommendation, written in English on the letter of recommendation template.
- Signature page: One (1) hand-signed 2022 Algerian Leadership Program youth participant signature page. Note: Both you and your father or legal guardian must hand sign this form. Names typed on a computer will not be accepted. Please see the sample signature page
- Complete the personal information and essay questions asked on the online application, upload the two required letters of recommendation and the signature page, and submit your application by 11:59 pm (GMT +1) on November 16, 2021. Note: You can access the application to view the information required multiple times, but once you begin to fill out the form, you cannot save your answers to go back later. Therefore, you must complete and scan the two (2) Letters of Recommendation and the Signature Page before filling out the application.
The application questions and the required documents must be completed and submitted electronically by 11:59 pm (GMT +1) on November 16, 2021 for your application to be considered.
Part two: Video interview
Follow these steps to complete the video interview between November 22–December 7, 2021:
The link to the video interview is only available through a personalized link that will be emailed to you on November 22, 2021)
- If your online Written Application is found complete and you meet all eligibility standards, you will be emailed a link to the Video Interview portion of the application on November 22, 2021. The Video Interview is not live; you will record and submit your answers, so you can complete it anytime between November 22 and December 7, 2021. Please start the video interview process as soon as possible in case you experience technical difficulties and need support. We cannot extend the Video Interview deadline due to technical difficulties.
Note: The deadline for the Video Interview portion of the application is NOT November 16, 2021. This is only the deadline for the online Written Application. The deadline to submit the Video Interview is December 7, 2021.
- Completely answer the three (3) video interview questions in English. You will have two (2) attempts to answer each question (if you don’t like your first answer, you can re-record once).
Note: You will need strong, stable internet access to complete the video interview. You must use a computer that has Internet Explorer or Google Chrome as a browser. The computer you use must have a camera and microphone that you can access for the interview. Please make sure to complete the interview in a quiet environment where you will be able to hear the questions asked and the selection panel will be able to clearly hear your answers.
Your 2022 Algerian Youth Leadership Program application will only be considered complete once you have submitted both the online application and the video interview application by the indicated deadlines.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Deadline for the online Written Application: November 16, 2021
- Deadline for the Video Interview: December 7, 2021
Please send any inquiries regarding the application process to email@example.com.