2021 Algerian Youth Leadership Program adult participant application
Northern Nevada International Center and Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement
A Program of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State and the United States Embassy Algeria
Written Application Period: November 1- 29, 2020
Video Interview Period: December 4 – December 13, 2020
The Algerian Youth Leadership Program is a leadership development opportunity for 35 Algerian and American youth, ages 15-17. This cultural and academic exchange will take place in Reno, Nevada and Washington, DC from June 14-July 7, 2021, with an orientation in Algiers from June 11-13, 2021.
The program will employ an interactive approach both in workshops and in a range of public and community settings. Through engagement in the activities, youth and adult participants will better understand civic participation, the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democracy and the role that social enterprises play in a community. The program is highly academic and will require several work products including a post-program service project in the participant’s local community.
The program will be highly intensive and interactive. The program sponsors seek energetic applicants to serve as youth mentors who are ready to further develop their skills to be effective leaders in their communities. Mentors take on a unique role as role models and program participants. We expect adult participants to be fully engaged in program activities while serving as a liaison between youth participants and program staff in all aspects of managing the program.
Please note: The safety of participants and our communities is our number one priority. While we are scheduled to run the Algerian Youth Leadership in-person exchange in Reno, Nevada and Washington, D.C. from June 14-July 7, 2021, with an orientation in Algiers from June 11-13, 2021, the in-person exchange is contingent upon the stabilization of the COVID-19 pandemic, the easing of travel restrictions and the safety of travel. Any changes in travel plans will be communicated to program applicants or participants as soon as possible.
To be eligible to apply you must:
- Be a legal citizen of Algeria
- Work actively mentoring youth in their professional or volunteer activities
- Be a community leaders
- Have excellent English
- Be committed to working with the Youth Leadership Program participants after their return from the United States and assist in the implementation of community projects
- Have travel experience outside of their home state or province (international travel experience is not required). Program staff will travel with you to the U.S.
- Be committed to the goals and ideals of the program, including civic leadership, diversity and fostering regional and global interactions
- Not be employed by and/or do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement or the U.S. Department of State
The application consists of two (2) parts-and online written application and an online video interview. All parts of the application must be completed entirely in English. The information you provide in the written and video portions of the application will be used to select semifinalists for this program. Please read all instructions and answer all questions carefully and completely.
Your 2020 Algerian Youth Leadership Program application will only be considered complete once you have submitted both the online written application and the video interview by the deadlines indicated.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please send any inquiries regarding the application process to firstname.lastname@example.org
Part one: Online written application
Deadline: 11:59 pm (GMT +1) on November 29, 2020
Follow these steps to complete the online written application between November 1 and November 29, 2020:
- Print, complete and scan the following documents. These must be uploaded to your online application:
- Letters of recommendation: two (2) typed and hand-signed letters of recommendation, written in English on the letter of recommendation template.
- Signature page: One (1) hand-signed 2020 Algerian Leadership Program adult participant signature page. Note: You must hand sign this form. Names typed on a computer will not be accepted. By signing the "2021 Algerian Youth Leadership Program Youth Signature Page," you are certifying that all of the information on the application is true and correct. If any of the information in your application is found to be false, you will be disqualified from the program and will not be eligible for any Department of State or U.S. Embassy exchanges/programs in the future.
- Complete the personal information and essay questions asked on the online application, upload the two required letters of recommendation and the signature page, and submit your application by 11:59 pm (GMT +1) on November 29, 2020. Note: You can access the application to view the information required multiple times, but once you begin to fill out the form, you cannot save your answers to go back later. Therefore, you must complete and scan the two (2) Letters of Recommendation and the Signature Page before filling out the application.
Part two: Video interview
Deadline: December 13, 2020
Follow these steps to complete the video interview between December 4 – December 13, 2020:
You will need strong, stable internet access to complete the video interview. You must use a computer that has Internet Explorer or Google Chrome as a browser. The computer you use must have a camera and microphone that you can access for the interview. Please make sure to complete the interview in a quiet environment where you will be able to hear the questions asked and the selection panel will be able to clearly hear your answers.
- If your online written application is found complete and you meet all eligibility standards, you will be emailed a link to the Video Interview portion of the application on December 4, 2020. The video interview is not live. You will record and submit your answers, so you can complete it anytime between December 4 and December 13. Please start the video interview process as soon as possible in case you experience technical difficulties and need support. We cannot extend the video interview deadline due to technical difficulties.
- Completely answer the four (4) video interview questions in English. You will have two (2) attempts to answer each question (if you don’t like your first answer, you can re-record once).