2023 Youth Leadership Program with Algeria adult participant application
Coordinated by the Northern Nevada International Center in partnership with the Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement
A Program of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State and the United States Embassy Algeria
UPDATE: Written application deadline extended to November 13, 2022 (11:59 PM)
Written application period: October 7-November 13, 2022
Video interview period: November 17–December 4, 2022
The Algerian Youth Leadership Program is a leadership development opportunity for 35 Algerian and American youth, ages 15-17. This cultural and academic exchange will take place in Reno, Nevada and Washington, DC from July 10-August 2, 2023, with an orientation in Algiers from July 6-9, 2023.
The program employs an interactive approach both in workshops and in a range of public and community settings. Through engagement in the activities, youth and adult participants will better understand civic participation, the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democracy and the role that social enterprises play in a community. The program is highly academic and will require several work products including a post-program service project in the participant’s local community.
The program is highly intensive and interactive. The program sponsors seek energetic applicants to serve as youth mentors who are ready to further develop their skills to be effective leaders in their communities. Mentors take on a unique role as role models and program participants. We expect adult participants to be fully engaged in program activities while serving as liaisons between youth participants and program staff in all aspects of managing the program.
The program is comprised of an intensive training schedule that includes highly academic workshops, project planning, teambuilding activities and cultural components. Adult participants function in a support capacity during all programming and play an integral role of supporting youth and working collaboratively with staff. Participants can expect to be in programming sessions from a minimum of 8:00 am – 5:30 pm. Some days include programming from 8:00 am – 9:00 pm. View our sample calendar.
Please note: The safety of participants and our communities is our number one priority. In-person exchange on the dates noted above is contingent upon the stabilization of the pandemic, the easing of travel restrictions and the safety of travel. In the case that travel is not possible on these dates, the program may be held at later dates or virtually.
Adult participants who are eligible to apply are those who:
- Are a legal citizen of Algeria
- Work actively mentoring youth in their professional or volunteer activities
- Are community leaders
- Have excellent English
- Are committed to working with the Youth Leadership Program participants after their return from the United States and assist in the implementation of community projects
- Have travel experience outside of their home state or province (international travel experience is not required. Program staff will travel with you to the U.S.)
- Are committed to the goals and ideals of the program, including civic leadership, diversity and fostering regional and global interactions
- Not be employed by and/or do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement or the U.S. Department of State
- Have not traveled to the United States on a Department of State exchange program in the last three years
The YLPA Adult Participation application consists of two (2) parts: an online written application and an online video interview. All parts of the application must be completed entirely in English. The information you provide in the written and video portions of the application will be used to select semifinalists for this program. Please read all instructions and answer all questions carefully and completely.
Part one: Online written application
Follow these steps to complete the online written application by 11:59 pm (GMT +1) on November 5, 2022.
- Print, complete and scan the following documents. These must be uploaded to your online application:
- Letters of recommendation: two (2) typed and hand-signed letters of recommendation, written in English on the letter of recommendation template.
- Signature page: One (1) hand-signed 2023 Algerian Leadership Program adult participant signature page. Note: You must hand sign this form. Names typed on a computer will not be accepted. By signing the "2023 Algerian Youth Leadership Program Adult Signature Page," you are certifying that all of the information on the application is true and correct. If any of the information in your application is found to be false, you will be disqualified from the program and will not be eligible for any Department of State or U.S. Embassy exchanges/programs in the future.
- Complete the personal information and essay questions asked on the online application, upload the two (2) required letters of recommendation and the signature page, and submit your application by 11:59 pm (GMT +1) on November 5, 2022. Note: You can access the application to view the information required multiple times, but once you begin to fill out the form, you cannot save your answers to go back later. Therefore, you must complete and scan the two (2) Letters of Recommendation and the Signature Page before filling out the application.
2023 Youth Leadership Program with Algeria Adult Participant Application
The application questions and the required documents must be completed and submitted electronically by 11:59 pm (GMT +1) on November 5, 2022 for your application to be considered.
Part two: Video interview
Follow these steps to complete the video interview between November 17–December 4, 2022:
- If your online Written Application is found complete and you meet all eligibility standards, you will be emailed a link to the Video Interview portion of the application on November 17, 2022. The Video Interview is not live-you will record and submit your answers, so you can complete it anytime between November 17 and December 4, 2022. Please start the video interview process as soon as possible in case you experience technical difficulties and need support. We cannot extend the Video Interview deadline due to technical difficulties.
Note: The deadline for the Video Interview portion of the application is NOT November 5, 2022. This is only the deadline for the online Written Application. The deadline to submit the Video Interview is December 4, 2022.
- Completely answer the two (2) video interview questions in English. You will have two (2) attempts to answer each question (if you don’t like your first answer, you can re-record once).
Note: You will need strong, stable internet access to complete the video interview. You must use a computer that has Internet Explorer or Google Chrome as a browser. The computer you use must have a camera and microphone that you can access for the interview. Please make sure to complete the interview in a quiet environment where you will be able to hear the questions asked and the selection panel will be able to clearly hear your answers.
Your 2023 Algerian Youth Leadership Program application will only be considered complete once you have submitted both the online application and the video interview application by the indicated deadlines.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Deadline for the online Written Application: November 5, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
- Deadline for the Video Interview: December 4, 2022 at 11.59 p.m.
Please send any inquiries regarding the application process to firstname.lastname@example.org.