NevadaFIT week-of information
We hope you are excited to get a jumpstart on college! Below, you will find information regarding your NOW Weekend and NevadaFIT. In addition, make sure to complete your first NevadaFIT assignment in WebCampus before arriving on campus.
NevadaFIT Orientation Welcome (NOW) Weekend will take place between August 12-15, 2021.
NOW Weekend includes a variety of events that all first-year students and their families can participate in before families say goodbye and students begin NevadaFIT. For a complete list of events, times, and locations, download our Guidebook app.
Below are some of the major events taking place during NOW Weekend.
Residence hall move-in: August 12-14
- For those living in the residence halls, you will check-in at your residence hall based on your assigned move-in day and time on the Residential Life move-in page.
- Please note that while you may have received an email from Residential Life with an assigned day and time, you may be required to move in on August 12th due to membership in one of the following groups: Living Learning Communities, Honors College, First in the Pack, TRiO, Upward Bound, Gear Up, Deans Future Scholars, and DRC Bridge to FIT attendees.
- Additionally, you will attend a residence hall community meeting at 7 p.m. on the day that you move into your residence hall
- Off-campus students and their families/guests are encouraged to participate in NOW weekend events, but need to make sure to attend their assigned iPad pickup time and NevadaFIT check-in on August 15th (see what time you need to check-in).
- Important: If you are not living in the residence halls during the 2021-2022 academic year, you are responsible for arranging your own housing during NevadaFIT.
iPad distribution: August 12-15 at the Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
- All first-year students will pick up their iPad Air, Apple Smart Keyboard Folio, and an Apple Pencil on the second floor of the Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center.
- iPad pick-up appointments are assigned based off of your move-in day time (or by camp if off-campus).
- You will need to provide a valid government-issued ID or Wolf Card, a completed Technology Responsibility and Liability Agreement from your Canvas pre-assignment, and your netID and password to pick up your iPad.
- For more information on your Wolf Card, please review the Wolf Card section at the bottom of this webpage.
Camp check-in: Sunday, August 15 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Camp check-ins will take place at various locations by camp and assigned times.
Opening ceremony: Sunday, August 15 at 4 p.m. at Mackay Stadium
- For Opening Ceremony, students will be seated separately from parents and will meet back with their NevadaFIT camps at 3:30p.m. to walk together to Mackay Stadium. Please wear the NevadaFIT t-shirt you received at your camp check-in and bring your iPad!
- Students requiring ADA seating should arrive at gates 9 and 10 at 3:30pm instead of reporting to their camp check-in location. Staff will be able to assist you.
- Parents and guests are welcome to attend. Gates 1 and 5 open at 3:00p.m.
- Parking will be available in the West Stadium Parking Complex as well as North parking lots. ADA parking will be available on the 5th floor of the West Stadium Parking Complex.
Opening BBQ: Sunday, August 15 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., outside the Wolf Den
Students are welcome to go to dinner with their family after the Opening Ceremony, or swing by our student social that will include a BBQ and lawn games any time between 5:30p.m. and 7:30p.m.
Parents and guests
Parents and guests are welcome to help their student move-in to the dorms, and can attend NOW weekend events, including Opening Ceremony. Please make time to say your goodbyes on Sunday evening. Students will be engaged with their NevadaFIT camp until approximately 10:00p.m. each day beginning Monday, August 16.
NevadaFIT 2021 will take place between Monday, August 16 and Friday, August 20, 2021.
- Schedules are camp-specific. Students will be able to view a detailed schedule of their program on Canvas by August 15.
- Students should plan to be on campus from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday and until 1 p.m. on Friday. This includes meals, breaks and study time.
What to bring
If you are planning to live on campus for the 2021-2022 academic year, please visit the Office of Residential Life's list of "what to bring." For NevadaFIT, please be sure to bring the items listed below in addition to completing your first NevadaFIT assignment on WebCampus prior to arrival.
- iPad, keyboard, and Apple pencil
- Headphones or earbuds. To be compatible with your iPad Air, you will need headphones or earbuds that are Bluetooth or have a USB-C connection
- Comfortable closed-toed shoes
- Exercise and/or comfortable clothing for fitness classes
- Reusable water bottle
- Backpack or bag
- Other preferred school supplies for the start of term
- Additional preferred snacks
- Sunscreen, hat, sunglasses
- Parking permit (see parking section below)
- Biz-FIT and LiberalArtsFIT: Professional/business attire for one day
Parking information and permits
Parking for students during NOW Weekend and NevadaFIT. If you will be parking on campus for the week of NevadaFIT, you will be required to have a parking permit. If you purchased a parking permit for the Fall Semester, it will be valid beginning August 12 where your permit is valid.
You should receive your Wolf Card at your residence hall check-in if you submitted your photo virtually. If you will not be living on campus for the 2021-2022 academic year or you did not submit a photo, please make sure to visit the Wolf Card Office on the first floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union to get your Wolf Card. The Wolf Card Office will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on August 12 and 13, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on August 14 and 15.
It is imperative that you have your Wolf Card during NevadaFIT.
NevadaFIT math course
For all camps (except for ScienceFIT and BizFIT), you will participate in the math course in which you have been enrolled for the fall semester or the next highest math course if you have completed your math requirement. If you would like to place into a higher math course than the one you are enrolled in for the fall semester, please take the ALEKS placement test and submit the results to the University of Nevada, Reno no later than August 6, 2021. Visit the University of Nevada, Reno ALEKS page for more information.
Math course enrollment in NevadaFIT will no longer be subject to change after August 6, 2021, though it is still possible to take ALEKS and change your fall semester math enrollment after this date.
NevadaFIT payment information
As a NevadaFIT participant, you should be enrolled in a 109 class. If you do not see this on your schedule, please call the NevadaFIT Office. Tuition rates apply to this one-credit. You must also pay an additional course fee of $250. All fees have been applied to your fall semester payment due on August 20, and can be paid on MyNevada. If you have been notified that you are receiving a fee waiver, this waiver will be automatically applied to your account and no action is required.
Late arrivals and cancellation policy
Students will fail the NevadaFIT course if they do not receive a formal exemption. Please contact the NevadaFIT Office at email@example.com to request an exemption. Exemptions are only offered in extreme circumstances.
If a circumstance arises that may cause you to be late arriving to NevadaFIT, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible for approval from the appropriate camp coordinator, and to arrange accommodations for missed material. Please make every effort to arrive to NevadaFIT on time.