Nevada Money Mentor peer mentor
The Nevada Money Mentor Program within the Financial Aid & Scholarship Office at the University of Nevada, Reno seeks to fill a position for a Peer Mentor. Positions are available for student's sophomore level and above in good academic standing. The Peer Mentor should commit to a term of one full academic year and must be available to work a minimum of 10 hours per week.
Nevada Money Mentors is the University's financial literacy program empowering students with financial knowledge and resources so they make informed, confident decisions about their money.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Conduct financial coaching sessions maintaining client confidentiality
- Develop in-take, plan-of-action, and follow-up processes for all students requesting financial coaching
- Create resource documents for students on various personal financial topics
- Assist in the planning, coordinating, implementation, and evaluation of the Nevada Money Mentors activities and events
- Work closely with Financial Specialist to develop new programs and implement various projects
- Plan and present financial education workshops to students, faculty and staff
- Serves as a resource person to the participant; provides referrals to other university and community resources as needed
- Perform related duties and marketing/communications/outreach activities as assigned by supervisor
- Other duties as assigned
- Highly motivated and committed to helping others
- Outgoing, friendly and comfortable working one-on-one with peers and presenting in front of groups that may include peers as well as faculty and staff members
- Must possess excellent communication skills as well as an appreciation of diversity
- Have general knowledge of personal finance topics such as budgeting, savings, credit, etc.
- Have an interest in tackling student debt and building an awareness around the importance of money management
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
Contact Amy Nelson with any questions you may have about Peer Mentors.