- Postdoc, Computer Science, University of Washington, 2016
- Ph.D., Computer Science, Illinois Institute of Technology, 2015
- M.S., Computer Science, Emory University, 2008
Dr. Zhao is an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at University of Nevada, Reno. Prior to joining the University, he completed his postdoctoral fellowship in the School of Computer Science & Engineering at University of Washington, Seattle. He was a recipient of the Moore-Sloan Postdoctoral Fellowship (2016) and the Oak Ridge Institute of Science and Education Fellowship (2007). He received his Ph.D. in computer science from Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago.
- Database management systems
- High-performance computing
- Machine intelligence
Selected and recent publication
- Parmita Mehta, Sven Dorkenwald, Dongfang Zhao, Tomer Kaftan, Alvin Cheung, Magdalena Balazinska, Ariel Rokem, Andrew Connolly, Jacob Vanderplas, and Yusra AlSayyad. Comparative Evaluation of Big-Data Systems on Scientific Image Analytics Workloads. 43rd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB). August 2017.
- Dongfang Zhao, Kan Qiao, Zhou Zhou, Tonglin Li, Zhihan Lu, and Xiaohua Xu. Toward Efficient and Flexible Metadata Indexing of Big Data Systems. IEEE Transactions on Big Data (TBD). 3(1):107-117, March 2017.
- Dongfang Zhao, Ning Liu, Dries Kimpe, Robert Ross, Xian-He Sun, and Ioan Raicu. Towards Exploring Data-Intensive Scientific Applications at Extreme Scales through Systems and Simulations. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS). 27(6):1824-1837, June 2016.
- Dongfang Zhao, Kan Qiao, Jian Yin, and Ioan Raicu. Dynamic Virtual Chunks: On Supporting Efficient Accesses to Compressed Scientific Data. IEEE Transactions on Services Computing (TSC). 9(1):96-109, February 2016.
- Dongfang Zhao and Li Yang. Incremental Isometric Embedding of High-Dimensional Data Using Connected Neighborhood Graphs. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (PAMI). 31(1):86-98, January 2009.