- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, 2016
- B.Sc., Measurement and Control, Tsinghua University, Beijing, 2010
- B.Sc. in Economics (second degree), Tsinghua University, Beijing, 2010
We have a Ph.D. position available starting Spring 2018 or Fall 2018.
Please send a copy of your CV/resume including your GPA, GRE test score and itemized TOEFL/IELTS score to Dr. Wang. You can usually hear back from us in one week if we are interested in your background
Dr. Yan Wang joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Nevada, Reno as an assistant professor in 2016. He received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Purdue University, West Lafayette, in 2016. Prior to his study at Purdue, he received a B.Sc. degree in Measurement and Control from the Department of Precision Instruments at Tsinghua University, Beijing, in 2010. He also received a bachelor's degree in Economics from Tsinghua University, Beijing, in 2010.
- Understanding energy transport and conversion processes over a wide spectrum of time and length scales
- Designing micro/nanomaterials for thermal management and thermoelectric applications
- Developing theoretical and computational approaches to model and simulate thermal/mechanical processes in nanostructures
Selected and recent publications
- Yan Wang, Zexi Lu, and Xiulin Ruan, "First principles calculation of lattice thermal conductivity of metals considering phonon-phonon and phonon-electron scattering," J. Appl. Phys. 119, 225109 (2016)
- Zexi Lu, Yan Wang, and Xiulin Ruan, "Metal/dielectric thermal interfacial transport considering cross-interface electron-phonon coupling: Theory, two-temperature molecular dynamics, and thermal circuit," Phys. Rev. B 93, 064302 (2016)
- Yan Wang, Zexi Lu, Ajit Roy, and Xiulin Ruan, "Effect of interlayer on interfacial thermal transport and hot electron cooling in metal-dielectric systems: an electron-phonon coupling perspective," J. Appl. Phys. 119, 065103 (2016)
- Yan Wang, Chongjie Gu, and Xiulin Ruan, "Optimization of the random multilayer structure to break the random-alloy limit of thermal conductivity," Appl. Phys. Lett., 106, 073104, 2015
- Yan Wang, Haoxiang Huang, and Xiulin Ruan, "Decomposition of coherent and incoherent phonon conduction in superlattices and random multilayers," Phys. Rev. B 90, 165406, 2014
- Yan Wang, Ajit Vallabhaneni, Bo Qiu, and Xiulin Ruan, "Two-dimensional thermal transport in graphene: a review of numerical modeling studies," Nanosc. Microsc. Thermo. 18, 155-182, 2014
- Yan Wang, Ajit Kumar Vallabhaneni, Jiuning Hu, Bo Qiu, Yong P. Chen, and Xiulin Ruan, "Phonon Lateral Confinement Enables Thermal Rectification in Asymmetric Single-Material Nanostructures," Nano Lett., 2014, 14 (2), pp 592-596
- Finefrock, Scott W., Yan Wang (co-first author), John B. Ferguson, James V. Ward, Haiyu Fang, Jonathan E. Pfluger, Douglas S. Dudis, Xiulin Ruan, and Yue Wu, "Measurement of thermal conductivity of PbTe nanocrystal coated glass fibers by the 3ω method," Nano lett. 13, no. 11 (2013): 5006-5012
- Yan Wang, Bo Qiu, and Xiulin Ruan, "Edge effect on thermal transport in graphene nanoribbons: A phonon localization mechanism beyond edge roughness scattering," Appl. Phys. Lett., 101, 013101 (2012).
- Bo Qiu, Yan Wang, Qing Zhao, and Xiulin Ruan, "The effects of diameter and chirality on the thermal transport in free-standing and supported carbon-nanotubes," Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 233105, 2012
- Yan Wang, Xiulin Ruan, and Ajit K. Roy, "Two-temperature nonequilibrium molecular dynamics simulation of thermal transport across metal-nonmetal interfaces," Phys. Rev. B, 85, 205311, 2012
- Yan Wang, Siyu Chen, and Xiulin Ruan, "Tunable Thermal Rectification in Graphene Nanoribbons through Defect Engineering: A Molecular Dynamics Study," Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 163101, 2012
- Jiuning Hu, Yan Wang, Ajit Vallabhaneni, Xiulin Ruan, and Yong Chen, "Nonlinear thermal transport and negative differential thermal conductance in graphene nanoribbons," Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 113101