- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, 2016
- M.E., Birla Institute of Technology and Science, 2011
- B.Tech., Cochin University of Science and Technology, 2008
Rahul Ramachandran received Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. During his Ph.D. he worked on engineering and applications of hydrophobic and icephobic (ice repellent) materials. Dr. Ramachandran received his graduate and undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the Birla Institute of Technology and Science and the Cochin University of Science and Technology respectively.
- UWM Distinguished Dissertator Fellowship Award 2015-16
- Surface engineering
- Hydrophobic and icephobic materials
- Introduction to Computer Methods for Engineers
- Intermediate Dynamics Lab
- Intermediate Heat Transfer Lab
Selected and recent publications
- Ramachandran R, Nosonovsky M. Non-wetting, Stabilization, and Phase Transitions Induced by Vibrations and Spatial Patterns. In: Ras R, Marmur A, editors. Non-wettable Surfaces: Theory, Preparation and Applications: Royal Soc. Chemistry, 2016 (In press).
- Ramachandran R, Maani N, Rayz V L, Nosonovsky M. Vibrations and Spatial Patterns in Biomimetic Surfaces: Using the Shark-skin Effect to Control Blood Clotting. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. , A 2016, 374, 20160133.
- Ramachandran R, Nosonovsky M. Vibrations and Spatial Patterns Change Effective Wetting Properties of Superhydrophobic and Regular Membranes. Biomimetics 2016, 1, 4.
- Ramachandran R, Kozhukhova M, Sobolev K, Nosonovsky M. Anti-icing Superhydrophobic Surfaces: Controlling Entropic Molecular Interactions to Design Novel Icephobic Concrete. Entropy 2016, 18, 132.
- Ramachandran R, Nosonovsky M. Coupling of Surface Energy with Electric Potential Makes Superhydrophobic Surfaces Corrosion-Resistant. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2015, 17, 24988-24997.
- Ramachandran R, Sobolev K, Nosonovsky M. Dynamics of Droplet Impact on Hydrophobic/Icephobic Concrete with the Potential for Superhydrophobicity. Langmuir 2015, 31, 1437-1444.
- Nosonovsky M, Ramachandran R. Geometric Interpretation of Surface Tension Equilibrium in Superhydrophobic Systems. Entropy 2015, 17, 4684-4700.
- Ramachandran R, Nosonovsky M. Surface Micro/Nanotopography, Wetting Properties and the Potential for Biomimetic Icephobicity of Skunk Cabbage Symplocarpus Foetidus. Soft Matter 2014, 10, 7797-7803.
- Ramachandran R, Nosonovsky M. Vibro-levitation and Inverted Pendulum: Parametric Resonance in Vibrating Droplets and Soft Materials. Soft Matter 2014, 10, 4633-4639.
- Ramachandran R, Seetharaman M, Sharma N N. Investigations Into Superhydrophobicity of a Soot Surface Attributed to Nano-Asperities. J. Micro Nano-Manuf. 2013, 1, 014502.