- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, 2014
- M.Sc., Electrical Engineering, University of Benghazi, Benghazi, Libya, 2005
- B.Sc., Electrical Engineering, University of Benghazi, Benghazi, Libya, 1998
Dr. Ben-Idris is assistant professor of electrical and biomedical engineering. Prior to joining the University in July 2016, he worked as a research associate and visiting lecturer at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Michigan State University (MSU), East Lansing. At MSU he held a position of associate director of the Energy Reliability & Security (ERISE) Laboratory. Prior to joining Michigan State University, he was assistant lecturer at the department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of Benghazi, Benghazi, Libya, where he served as the chair of the Engineering Departments branch at Almaraj campus, Libya.
He received a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from Michigan State University, East Lansing and MSc. and BSc. degrees in electrical engineering from University of Benghazi, Benghazi, Libya. He has five years of industry and consulting experience ranging from power plants control and operation to hardware design and installation to modeling and simulation of various aspects of power systems, and total of more than eight years of academic experience. He has conducted research in power system modeling, analysis, reliability, stability, control, planning and simulation. He has over 60 publications in the power systems area, including book chapters, technical articles and research reports and a U.S. patent.
Electric power and energy systems
- Power system stability and control
- Power system reliability and security
- Integration of renewable energy sources
- Cyber-physical energy systems
- Parallel Computation
- EE 362: Signals and Systems, Fall 2016, Fall 2017, and Spring 2018
- EE 445/645: Power System Operation with Renewable Energy Sources Syllabus, Spring 2017
- ECE 345: Electronic Instrum. & Systems (Fall 2014, Spring 2015 (lab sections), Fall 2015, and Spring 2016)
- EE 211: Circuits and Systems I (Fall 2005 to Spring 2008)
- EE 212: Circuits and Systems II (Fall 2005 to Spring 2008)
- EE 384: Electric Machines Lab (Fall 2005 to Spring 2008)
- EE 494: Power System Lab (Spring 2007 & Spring 2008)
- EE 486: Engineering Reliability (Fall 2007 to Spring 2008)
- M. Benidris, J. Mitra, and C. Singh, "Integrated Evaluation of Reliability and Stability of Power Systems," in IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 4131-4139, Sept. 2017
- S. Sulaeman, Y. Tian, M. Benidris, and J. Mitra, "Quantification of Storage Necessary to Firm Up Wind Generation," in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 3228-3236, July-Aug. 2017
- J. Mitra, M. Benidris, N. Nguyen, and S. Deb, "A Visualization Tool for Real-Time Dynamic Contingency Screening and Remedial Actions," in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 3268-3278, July-Aug. 2017.
- S. Sulaeman, M. Benidris, J. Mitra, and C. Singh, "A Wind Farm Reliability Model Considering Both Wind Variability and Turbine Forced Outages," in IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 629-637, April 2017.
- M. Benidris, S. Elsaiah, and J. Mitra, "An emission-constrained approach to power system expansion planning," In International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 81, pp. 78-86, Oct. 2016.
- M. Benidris and J. Mitra, "Reliability and sensitivity analysis of composite power systems considering voltage and reactive power constraints," in IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 1245-1253, Sept. 2015.
- M. Benidris, S. Elsaiah, and J. Mitra, "Power system reliability evaluation using a state space classification technique and particle swarm optimization search method," in IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 9, no. 14, pp. 1865-1873, Nov. 2015.
- S. Elsaiah, N. Cai, M. Benidris, and J. Mitra, "Fast economic power dispatch method for power system planning studies," in IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 417-426, April 2015.
- S. Elsaiah, M. Benidris, and J. Mitra, "Analytical approach for placement and sizing of distributed generation on distribution systems," in IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1039-1049, June 2014.
- M. Benidris and J. Mitra, "Reliability and Sensitivity Analysis of Composite Power Systems Under Emission Constraints</a>," in IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 404-412, Jan. 2014.