Cellular and Molecular Imaging Core
The Imaging Core provides infrastructure and resources necessary to perform high-resolution imaging of biomolecules (i.e. DNA, RNA and protein), cells and tissues, as well as media preparation for research at UNR. The core is located on the 3rd floor of the Fleischmann Ag (FA) building in the Biology Department, and houses multiple instruments including a Leica SP8 confocal system, a Phosphoimager for Northern blotting, a ChemiDoc for Western blotting, and two Real-Time PCR instruments for precise and quantitative PCRs. The core also provides equipment and resources for husbandry of Drosophila and C. elegans used as model organisms by many laboratories in the Biology Department and by COBRE projects.
The equipment supported by the core include:
- Leica TCS SP8 confocal microscope (FA, room 324) that provides high-performance quantitative imaging and analysis of tissues and cells, from multi-photons to lightsheet imaging.
- Typhoon FLA7000 IP Phosphoimager from GE Healthcare for detection of a broad range of isotopes in radiolabeled samples, as well as other detection methods (FA, room 312)
- ChemiDocTM Touch Imaging system from Biorad for Western blotting and quantification of proteins (FA, room 312)
- CFX96 TouchTM Real-Time PCR detection systems from Biorad for precise and quantitative PCR (FA, room 312)
- Mediaclave 10 with Dose-It pump from Integra for rapid sterilization and preparation of culture media, and dispension of media to fill petri-dishes and vials (FA, room 313)
The core facility provides training and technical support, and employs a student assistant, who as part of their duties helps provide assistance to facility users. For information please contact the core director Dr. Alexander van der Linden (email@example.com).
- UNR clients: If you already have an account, log into iLab Solutions with your NetID and go to the Schedule Equipment tabs. If you are a new user, please contact Dr. Alexander van der Linden (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Non-UNR clients: Please contact Dr. Alexander van der Linden (email@example.com).
- Visit the iLab Help Site or UNR iLab system for further guidance using iLab Solutions.
Core Facility Recharge Rates
The core currently uses hourly fees for the confocal through iLab. New rates and plans for core usage will be offered soon.
Rates for UNR clients (as of 07/01/2017)
Leica SP8 confocal / hour $15