Mission & Goals
Our mission is to create professional, flexible, sustainable, market-responsive technology innovation services that stimulate regional, innovation-based economic development by aligning the needs of industry, startup companies, researchers, students and entrepreneurs with resources at the University of Nevada, Reno.
We provide industries, community entrepreneurs, faculty, students and alumni with a central and public access point to utilize the broad range of technical services, intellectual capital, testing and research capabilities, advanced tools and methodologies available through the Nevada Center for Applied Research's shared research facilities that otherwise would be cost-prohibitive for startups and not cost-effective for established companies. We open the door for entrepreneurial activities on campus and provide support for the development of business ideas and startup companies.
Our goals are to:
- Create an environment that encourages innovation by providing extensive support to faculty, students and local industry to engage in entrepreneurial activities
- Foster industry growth and the creation of new jobs
- Strengthen existing companies in advanced manufacturing and other key sectors
- Support the creation of industry clusters that leverage the competitive advantages of Nevada
The Nevada Center for Applied Research concept is founded through the Knowledge Fund, which is supported by the Governor’s Office of Economic Development and embraced and championed by the City of Reno.
Please contact us to discuss your project or business needs and to find out more information on how you can utilize the University’s assets and expertise.
Nevada Center for Applied Research will assist your enterprise with:
- Establishing a collaborative relationship with academia by promoting open innovation research programs and scientific studies to address real-world problems
- Facilitating access to shared research laboratories and sophisticated instrumentation and equipment
- Building interdisciplinary teams of faculty, scientists, postdoctoral-students and graduate students to work on ongoing projects, one-off projects, or new-complex developments
- Providing entrepreneurs access to a support network that includes incubation and business mentoring from experienced entrepreneurs and executives
- Providing affordable co-working space available to the University community and local startups
The Nevada Center for Applied Research utilizes space both on campus (see our research centers and cores) and in the new, state-of-the-art University of Nevada, Reno Innevation Center – Powered by Switch in the entrepreneurial epicenter of downtown Reno. The Innevation Center is a makerspace with access to 3D printers, CNC mills, plasma-cutting systems, state-of-the-art prototyping, and other equipment that is open to students, faculty, industry and entrepreneur members for their own applications.
The Nevada Center for Applied Research is closely aligned with strategic University programs that are designed to provide value to industry, these programs include:
- Autonomous car program
- Biosciences Entrepreneurial Laboratory
- Evolutionary Computing Systems Lab
- High performance computing facility
- Intelligent Mobility
- Mick Hitchcock, Ph.D. Nevada Proteomics Center
- Nevada Advanced Autonomous System Innovation Center
- Nevada Industry Excellence
- Nevada Terawatt Facility
- Materials Characterization Nevada
- Water Innovation Campus