Transgender Student Resources

One of the University of Nevada, Reno's Core values is the inclusiveness of diverse cultures and identities. There are many campus and MyNEVADA 2.0 resources available to transgender students.

Primary vs. Preferred Name

A person's name helps define them. A Primary name in MyNEVADA 2.0 is a person's legal name. This Primary name is what is displayed on all official educational records such as transcripts. If a person's identity does not match their Primary name, they do have the option of adding a Preferred name in MyNEVADA 2.0. 

A Preferred name is displayed on all class rosters, Webcampus and is the name instructors and advisors will see.

If you wish to add a Preferred name, navigate to MyNEVADA 2.0 and search Personal Data Summary.

MyNEVADA 2.0 Search Bar

Click on the Personal Data Summary task and then you will be prompted to log in. 

Personal Data Summary Icon

Now click on the Names icon.

names icon

Click the ADD A NEW NAME icon.

 Add a name icon

From the Name type drop down select Preferred and enter your Preferred name. Then click SAVE.

Preferred name

Once you have successfully added a Preferred name you will see both your Primary and Preferred names listed. You can change or update your Preferred name at any point.

Both names icon

If you legally change your Primary name, you may submit a Request to Change Personal Identification Data form along with supporting documentation (copy of drivers license with new name) to the Admissions and Records office. This will allow for an official change to your Primary name in MyNEVADA 2.0.

For more information on how a Nevada resident can legally change their name please visit The Second Judicial District Court website.

Once a Nevada resident has legally changed their name, they may visit the Nevada DMV's site for more information on how to update a NV drivers license with their new name.


Currently there is not an option to add a preferred gender in MyNEVADA 2.0. A student's gender is not listed on class rosters or within Webcampus. The University currently reports a student's gender externally for federal reporting. If a student's gender changes, they may submit the Request to Change Personal Identification Date form along with supporting documentation (driver's license with new gender listed) to Admissions and Records. This will allow a student's gender to be updated in MyNEVADA 2.0.

There are many on going revisions to Nevada statutes on how a Nevada resident can legally change their gender. Nevada residents who wish to have a legal change to their gender, should contact the Board of Health for assistance and direction.

For more information on how to change the gender listed on a Nevada drivers license, please visit the NV DMV site.

On-Campus Housing

Residential Life, Housing and Food Service (Residential Life) offers Gender Inclusive Housing options for students.

This process seeks to provide a living environment welcoming to all gender identities, not limited by the traditional gender binary. Gender Inclusive Housing allows for students to live together regardless of gender identity or biological sex in an environment in which they feel safe and supported. This environment is not a living option for students in a relationship with each other and who want to live together. Gender Inclusive Housing participants must commit to maintaining an inclusive and welcoming living environment free of discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation. Gender Inclusive Housing is not guaranteed to any student.

If you would like to apply for Gender Inclusive Housing please fill out the application available here.

For any additional questions regarding Gender Inclusive Housing please contact Residential Life at 775-784-1113 or

Additional Campus Resources

Safe Zone