- Three major scales (two octaves, tongued up and slurred down)
- Chromatic scale, three octaves if possible, tongued
- Two musical selections from a sonata, concerto, etude, or orchestral work that highlight your technical proficiency and melodic lyricism
( Example Repertoire: Mozart: Concerto in G, Faure: Fantasie, any sonata by Bach, Telemann, or Handel, an etude from Melodious and Progressive Studies ed. Robert Cavally, Book 1, 2, or 3 (Southern Music company), Standard Orchestral Flute Excerpts).
Contact Mary Miller for any questions prior to your audition.
- An exposition from a standard flute concerto
- A flute sonata or unaccompanied solo
- One etude selected from the following:
- Casterade: 12 Etudes
- Jean Jean: Modern Etudes
- Hugues: 40 New Studies
- Four Standard Orchestral Excerpts that showcase your range, technical proficiency and melodic lyricism
( Example Repertoire: Mozart: Concerto in D or G, Nielsen: Concerto, Ibert: Concerto, Liebermann: Sonata, Prokofiev: Sonata, Fukushima: Mei, Messian: Le Merle Noir, Coleman: Danza de la Mariposa).
Contact Mary Miller prior to submitting an application.