- Two mallet solo or etude (marimba or xylophone) without accompaniment. Additionally, a four mallet marimba solo is not required, but encouraged.
- Snare drum solo or etude. (Concert style is required, but an additional marching/rudimental style solo is encouraged).
- Timpani solo or etude (2, 3, or 4 drum).
Examples of two mallet solos for marimba/xylophone and four mallet marimba solos:
- Etudes from Modern School for Xylophone, Marimba, Vibraphone by Morris Goldenberg (two mallet)
- Etudes from Fundamental Method for Mallets by Mitchell Peters (two mallet)
- Masterpieces for Marimba arranged by Thomas McMillan (two mallet)
- Mitchell Peters 4 mallet marimba solos like Yellow After the Rain and Sea Refractions (four mallet)
- Solos from Image by Bart Quartier (4 mallet)
- Solos from Marimba: Technique Through Music by Mark Ford (4 mallet)
Examples of concert snare drum and rudimental solos:
- Portraits in Rhythm by Anthony Cirone
- Intermediate Snare Drum Studies by Mitchell Peters
- 14 Modern Contest Solos by john S. Pratt
- The All-American Drummer by Charley Wilcoxon
Examples of timpani etudes/solos found in the following method books:
- Fundamental Method for Timpani by Mitchell Peters
- Timpani Method by Alfred Friese and Alexander Lepak
- Modern Method for Timpani by Saul Goodman
- The Solo Timpanist by Vic firth
Applicants who don’t have access to a marimba, xylophone, or a set of timpani during the pandemic should contact Andrew Heglund to make alternative audition arrangements.
- Four mallet marimba work (something suitable for an undergraduate senior recital)
- Snare drum solo from the Delecluse Twelve Studies
- Timpani Solo (Carter, Bergamo, Beck, Cahn or comparable)
Contact Andrew Heglund prior to submitting an application.