- Two Major Scales (two octaves when possible)
- A Chromatic Scale (encompassing your full range, slurred or tongued)
- Two contrasting musical selections to be chosen from a movement of a concerto, sonata, etude, or ensemble excerpt. These selections should highlight your technical proficiency and melodic lyricism
( Example Repertoire: Arutiunian: Trumpet Concerto in Ab Major, Arutiunian: Elegy, Arban: Characteristic Studies, Balay: Petite Piece Concertante, Geodecke: Concert Etude, Haydn: Trumpet Concerto in Eb Major, Hummel: Trumpet, Concerto in Eb Major, Kennan: Sonata for Piano and Trumpet, Ropartz: Andante et Allegro, Turrin: Caprice, Voxman: Etude from the Selected Studies for Cornet or Trumpet, All-State Etudes)
Contact Jonathan Bhatia for any questions prior to your audition.
- An exposition from a classical concerto: Haydn, Hummel, or Neruda
- A selection from a trumpet sonata, cornet solo, unaccompanied solo, or advanced etude
- A selection of three standard orchestral excerpts from the list below:
- Mahler: Symphony No. 5 (Mvt. 1 m. 1 – m. 25)
- Mussorgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition (Promenade)
- Beethoven: Leonore Overture No. 2 or No. 3 (off-stage solo)
- Respighi: Pines of Rome (Mvt. 2 off-stage solo)
- Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra (Mvt V. No. 201- No. 256; Trumpet 2)
- Stravinsky: Petrouchka (Ballerina’s Dance)
( Example Repertoire: Bitsch: Vingt Etudes, Bozza: Rustiques, Brandt: Concert Piece, Charlier: 36 Transcendent Etudes for Trumpet, Clarke: Maid of the Mist, Hindemith: Sonata for Trumpet and Piano, Hohne: Slavische Fantasie, Kennan: Sonata for Trumpet and Piano, Peaslee: Night Songs, Persichetti: Hollow Men, Plog: Postcards, Tomasi: Concerto for Trumpet and Orchestra, Vizzutti: Cascades)
Contact Jonathan Bhatia prior to submitting an application.