Music Clubs and Organizations
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia is the world's oldest and largest secret national musical fraternal society. For over a century, Sinfonians in nearly every field of study and professional endeavor have transformed music in America. The opportunity of becoming a Sinfonian is offered to men who, through a love for music, can assist in the fulfillment of the fraternity's object and ideals.
The object of this fraternity shall be for the development of the best and truest fraternal spirit, the mutual welfare and brotherhood of musical students, the advancement of music in America and a loyalty to the Alma Mater.
Sigma Alpha Iota is a national music fraternity for women. A Reno alumnae chapter of Sigma Alpha Iota also exists called, Eta Omicron. From the Sigma Alpha Iota national website: "Sigma Alpha Iota accepts with pride the responsibilities and privileges of being a leader in the pursuit of music creation, performance and scholarship... Members of SAI are active in all areas of campus music and campus life, working closely with faculty, administration, campus and community groups, music professionals and patrons. In addition to personal encouragement and support, members may receive scholarships, loans and awards in many areas and at all levels of music-related study."
American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) has a student chapter at the University. ACDA is a national professional organization, which focuses especially on the choral arts. Activities are planned and organized by student members and advised by faculty and graduate students. As a national organization, according to their website, the ACDA "is a nonprofit music-education organization whose central purpose is to promote excellence in choral music through performance, composition, publication, research and teaching. In addition, ACDA strives through arts advocacy to elevate choral music's position in American society." The local chapter personalizes the association's mission by promoting choral music events at the University.
The National Association for Music Education has a student branch at the University. With over 60,000 members, the National Association for Music Education has been in existence for over 100 years. Its mission is "to advance music education by encouraging the study and making of music by all," which is based upon a profound philosophy. As NAfME's official preamble states:
Music allows us to celebrate and preserve our cultural heritages and also to explore the realms of expression, imagination and creation resulting in new knowledge. Therefore, every individual should be guaranteed the opportunity to learn music and to share in musical experiences.
For information about NAfME's Music Major for a Day program (including instructions on how to register), visit the University of Nevada, Reno NAfME student website.
Local community music organizations
- For the Love of Jazz
- Reno Philharmonic
- Reno Chamber Orchestra
- Reno Pops
- Reno Jazz Orchestra
- Reno Jazz Festival
- Reno Youth Jazz Orchestra
Facebook has many personal pages associated with people who are connected in one way or another with the music scene at the University of Nevada, Reno and in the community. There are also several group pages dedicated to specific areas of interest directly associated with the department of music. New pages are appearing on a regular basis.
- Reno Jazz Festival at UNR
- UNR Jazz Student Recordings, Concerts, Recitals, Etc.
- UNR NafMe Collegiate
- UNR Program in Jazz & Improvisational Studies
- UNR Symphony Orchestra
- UNR Tuba-Euphonium Studio
- UNR Flute Studio
- UNR Horn Studio
- Nevada Chamber Opera
- University of Nevada Bands
- Performing Arts Series at the University of Nevada Reno
- Trumpets of UNR
- University of Nevada Reno College of Liberal Arts
- For the Love of Jazz Facebook
- Reno Jazz Orchestra Facebook
More organizations for specific musical interests
- American Bandmasters Association
- American Composers Forum
- American Guild for Organists
- American Harp Society
- American Musical Instrument Society
- American Musicological Association
- American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
- Association of Concert Bands
- Association for Technology in Music Instruction (ATMI)
- Chorus America
- College Band Directors Association
- Drum Corps International
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
- For The Love Of Jazz
- Freedom of Musical Expression (FREEMUSE)
- GALA Choruses
- International Alliance for Women in Music
- International Association for the Study of Popular Music
- International Clarinet Association
- International Computer Music Association
- International Council for Traditional Music (ICTM)
- International Native American and World Flute Association
- International Trombone Association
- International Tuba Euphonium Association
- Jazz Corner
- National Band Association
- Percussive Arts Society
- Piano Technicians Guild
- Society for American Music
- Society for Music Theory
- The College Music Society
- The Mr. Holland's Opus Foundation
- The Music Notation Project