- Ph.D., Cell biology, Pohang University of Science and Technology, South Korea
- B.S., Agricultural chemistry, Korea University, South Korea
Nervous system is composed of a variety of cell types. Among them, neurons are one of the most prominent cell types. They are not only the basic building blocks for neural circuit, but also the essential components to generate and transmit neural information. These highly sophisticated functions are guided by genetic programs, which in turn orchestrate complex cellular processes that enable neurons/neural circuit to function properly. Recent advances in genome sequencing and gene association studies have uncovered vast repertoire of genes that may cause neurological and mental disorders. However, little is known about whether and how these gene mutations lead to the pathogenesis. By combining powerful Drosophila genetics with cellular, physiological, and behavioral analyses, Kim lab tries to understand the molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying these physiological and pathological conditions. The knowledge gained through the studies will eventually help to develop effective treatment for brain disorders.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, University of Nevada-Reno 2016 - Present
- Postdoctoral fellow, Life Sciences Institute, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 2008-2016
- Postdoctoral fellow, Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois-Chicago, 2007-2008
- Research and Teaching Assistant, Pohang University of Science and Technology, 2000-2005
- Sterne G*, Kim JH*, Ye B. (2015) "Dysregulated Dscam levels act through Abelson tyrosine kinase to enlarge presynaptic arbors" eLife May 19;4. doi: 10.7554/eLife.05196 (* Equal contributors).
- Kim JH*, Wang X*, Coolon R, Ye B. (2013) "Dscam expression levels determine presynaptic arbor sizes in Drosophila sensory neurons" Neuron 78(5): 827-838 (* Equal contributors).
- Wang X, Kim JH, Bazzi M, Robinson S, Collins CA, Ye B (2013) "Bimodal Control of Dendritic and Axonal Growth by the Dual Leucine Zipper Kinase Pathway" PLoS Biology 11(6): e1001572. doi:10.1371.
- Ye B, Kim JH, Yang L, McLachlan I, Younger S, Jan LY, Jan YN. (2011) "Differential regulation of dendritic and axonal development by the novel Krüppel-like factor Dar1" J. Neurosci. 31, 3309-3319.