Frequently Asked Questions
What is the purpose of the McNair Scholars Program?
The purpose of the program is to increase the diversity of academic and administrative faculty on college campuses by preparing low-income, first generation in college, and/or underrepresented students of color who have demonstrated strong academic potential for careers in teaching, research, or administration on college and university campuses.
How many students are in the academic year program?
The McNair Scholars Program at the University of Nevada, Reno is funded to serve 27 students each program year.
What services are provided to prepare scholars for graduate school?
The program provides services that include:
- Intensive GRE (Graduate Record Exam) preparation
- Tutoring in academic courses to assure academic excellence as needed or requested
- Course in research methods
- Connection to an academic research mentor
- Connection to a graduate student mentor
- Research opportunities
- A $3,500 stipend paid to scholars during the structured summer research program
- Assistance in obtaining student financial aid
- Assistance in applying to graduate school
- Travel to research conferences and recruitment fairs
- Seminars and workshops designed to prepare students for doctoral study
How will you know if a student receives a doctoral degree?
McNair scholars commit to staying in touch with the program coordinator even after they receive their bachelor's degree so their progress toward obtaining a doctorate degree can be tracked. Scholars give permission to the McNair Program to track their academic accomplishments throughout graduate school.
How do you apply?
Fill out the on-line application on the "Apply to McNair" page. Note: Selection of participants will continue until all slots are filled.
Can scholars work during the summer research colloquium?
The program requires a 40 hour per week commitment during the nine week summer program. Scholars will not be able to maintain full-time employment while participating in the summer research program; Scholars are discouraged from working during the summer program. To offset loss of income for summer employment, the McNair Scholars Program will provide a stipend of $3,500.
How is the stipend amount distributed to students?
During the nine week summer program, students are "paid" on a biweekly basis.
Will the University of Nevada, Reno waive the graduate school application fee for McNair Scholars?
Yes, UNR will waive the graduate school application fee for any McNair Scholar whether they attended UNR or another university.