Apply to McNair Scholars
Become a McNair Scholar.
* The 2017 McNair Scholars Program application is now available!
We will begin accepting applications for scholars for fall 2017 in late spring 2017! Priority will be given to those applications received on or before October 2nd, 2017. Applications received after this date will be considered as space allows or for admission to the program in future semesters. Completed applications require steps 1-3 below to be complete. Applicants accepted in fall 2017 will be selected to participate in the spring/summer 2018 research cohort. At this time, we are only accepting applications for students who plan to graduate in fall 2018 or later.
Please review the following Eligibility Requirements put forth by the U.S. Department of Education, before proceeding with your application. There is also a time commitment involved with program services. Participants will be required to attend an 10 week research program at the University of Nevada, Reno the summer following their acceptance into the program.
As part of your online application you will need to provide the email addresses of two faculty members who will evaluate you for the program. The evaluation form will be automatically sent to your reviewers. You may view the faculty evaluation form for your reference. After your online application has been reviewed, you will be contacted by the McNair Scholars Program and asked to proceed to step two.
You will be emailed a secondary link where you must upload an essay, unofficial transcripts and tax documents. The link has directions for each of these steps. Information regarding the essay requirements is listed below for reference.
Please limit your response to a TOTAL of two, typed, double-spaced pages.
- Who are you? Describe your family including parents' highest level of education and your educational background as well as your post-graduate study and career goals.
- Please define your understanding of the McNair Scholars' Program philosophy and its primary goal.
- The University of Nevada, Reno McNair Program experience is stimulating, challenging, and demanding both in and out of the classroom. Why are you interested in such an experience and what are your reasons for wanting to be a McNair Scholar?
- Discuss what you hope to gain by becoming a McNair Scholar.
- Given the purpose of the McNair Scholars Program, to increase the diversity of administrative faculty and professors on college campuses, describe your level of interest in an academic career? Describe your course load, extra-curricular, and general work commitment.
- Discuss any plans, financial, familial, or personal responsibilities you have that may interfere with you participation in the program.
All applications will be reviewed by a faculty committee and students will be invited for an interview. Students who are selected for the McNair Scholars Program interview process will be required to complete the Eligibility Signature Page Form along with providing the previous tax year's forms: 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ copies (front and back ONLY), OR a Statement of Non-Taxable Income.
Students will be selected to participate in the McNair Scholars program after interviews are completed.