I earned my bachelor's degree in mathematics from Ghana in 1999 at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. Immediately after completion, I took up a teaching position as a math instructor at a local secondary school in Ghana and taught for three years. I left Ghana in 2002 and came to the U.S. for my masters' degree in mathematics (with a concentration in statistics) at UNR. After completing my masters in the summer of 2005, I was offered a visiting lecturer position at the mathematics and statistics department, UNR from 2005 to 2009.
Whilst teaching full time at UNR, I started my doctorate degree in mathematics education and completed in 2013. Immediately after my doctorate, I took up a tenure-track assistant professor position at the University of New Mexico-Gallup branch from fall of 2013 to fall of 2015, and a tenure-track at Great Basin College from spring 2016 to fall 2018. Then finally, I came back to UNR as a teaching assistant professor (non tenure-track position) from spring 2019 to present.
- Teacher and student dispositions and mathematics
- Preservice and in-service teacher education
- Professional development for teachers
- Effective instructional methods in mathematics
- Ph.D. Educational Specialties (Elementary Education) University of Nevada, Reno, NV
- 2013 M.S. Mathematics, University of Nevada, Reno, NV
- 2005 B.S. Mathematics, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science & Technology, Kumasi, Ghana, 1999
- Wiest, L. R., & Amankonah, F. O. (2019). Conceptual versus procedural approaches to ordering fractions. European Journal of Science and Mathematics Education,7(1), 61-72.
- MATH 95 (Elementary Algebra I)
- MATH 96 (Elementary Algebra II)
- MATH 120 (Fundamental Math)
- MATH 122 (Number Concepts for Elementary School Teachers)
- MATH 123 (Stats/Geometry Concepts for Elementary School Teachers)
- MATH 124 (College Algebra)
- MATH 126 (Pre-Calculus i) MATH 127 (Pre-Calculus II)
- MATH 176 (Business Calculus)
- MATH 181 (Calculus I-large & small classes)
- MATH 182 (Calculus II)
- MATH 283 (Calculus III)
- STAT 152 (Intro. Statistics-large & Small classes)
- STAT 352 (Probability-Statistics)