Northern Nevada Women’s Leadership Initiative
Women leaders in Northern Nevada have unique experiences in their workplaces. As gendered roles, performances, and expectations at work have evolved in recent decades, women at the top echelons of organizations often find themselves in challenging positions. For example, they serve as mentors and role models to younger women who have much different work experiences and expectations. In addition, they may personally feel isolated in a still male-dominated executive space. As public dialogue about wage equality, sexual harassment, and work-life balance took center stage in 2017-18, women leaders in Northern Nevada can find support and learning in relation to each other and targeted learning materials.
The Northern Nevada Women's Leadership Initiative consisted of a year-long series of women's leadership salons in which facilitators and speakers lead open discussions on topics relevant to women leaders, allowing participants to share their stories and wisdom. This initiative continues to conduct research for a future book project featuring the life stories of past and present women leaders.
- A year-long series of women's leadership salons in 2018-2019 in which speakers presented specific topics relevant to women leaders (i.e. The Wage Gap and Salary Negotiation or Reducing Implicit Bias in Hiring). Salons took place monthly for 90 minutes.
- Regular social networking in 2018-2019 for women leaders in Northern Nevada included networking events with local nonprofits which aid and support women.
- Skill building workshops in 2018-2019 (i.e. understanding tax law, how to create a website, etc.). Topics were linked to gender inequality at work.
- 2019-2020 project based-initiatives including 2019 fall networking reception
- Spring 2020 panel on women’s leadership and spiritual life with the Temple Sinai
The Women’s Leadership Initiative team has conducted participant observations and interviews with participants. Data from this research will produce a book about women in leadership, with chapters about mentoring, work-life balance, self-care and strategies for success.
In creating the materials and activities for this initiative, all parties are committed to inclusion, paying it forward, mentoring, and supporting all women. We also maintain an agreement of confidentiality to protect the stories and experiences of our participants.