Event Speaking Tips
When opening a digital event, it’s important to introduce yourself by stating your name, title, Department/Program, School/College name and end with “at the University of Nevada, Reno.” Talk in sound bites and be concise. Remember to stay positive and smile (even if wearing a mask). Offer thank yous (if necessary) and don’t forget your sponsors. Remind audience members to donate to your fund at the link provided (if necessary). Finally, make a land-acknowledgement. This is required when hosting an in-person event on campus.
At the conclusion of the event, if speaking, remember to plug your department/program name and your School/College name. Offer thank yous if you didn’t at the beginning (or a second-time doesn’t hurt).
Include a call-to-action somewhere in your event. If it’s not clunky in the beginning and you don’t plan on having a formal conclusion, then including the call-to-action up-front is an option. You can also have a call-to-action in the middle of the event during an intermission, and/or at the end of the event if you have a formal conclusion.
Here are some sample speaking points to use as a guideline (must includes are bolded):
- "Hi. My name is…I am the (title) in the (Department/Program) in the (School/College) at the University of Nevada, Reno."
- "Thank you to our sponsors (sponsor names) for helping us to host this event."
- "Please remember to donate to (fund name) at the link posted in the chat/on the page."
- University Land Acknowledgement: "We acknowledge that the University of Nevada, Reno is situated on the traditional homelands of the Numu (Northern Paiute), Wašiw (Washoe), Newe (Western Shoshone), Nuwu (Southern Paiute) peoples. These lands continue to be a gathering place for Indigenous Peoples and we recognize their deep connections to these places. We extend our appreciation for the opportunity to live and learn on their territory."
- "Please enjoy this performance/lecture/webinar by Department/Program name in the School/College name."
- "Thank you for watching/listening/joining us in the Department/Program name in the School/College name at the University of Nevada, Reno."
- "For more information, visit our website…"
- "Don’t forget to follow us on social at…"
- "Please consider donating to…"