Sharepoint: New Site
Creating a New Sub-Site
If you need to create a sub-site from your department site, follow these instructions:
- From the root of your department site, click on the Gear Icon(Settings) and then click on Site Contents.
- Click on + New and select Substitute.
- You will then be presented with pre-configured options for new sites. We recommend choosing Team Site.
- Enter in a name and URL for the new site, then click on Create. Please try to abbreviate the URL name.
- Your new subsite will be created. By default, the new sub-site will have the same access permissions as the parent site. It is possible to stop this inheritance.
Creating a Site at the root of Sharepoint
Most departments on campus already have a SharePoint site, and therefore it should not be necessary to have a site on the root (that is a site address like https://sharepoint.unr.edu/sites/example). However, if you have a need for this, then please contact IT Support with the following information:
- The name and proposed address for the site
- The reason for why it can't go in another department's SharePoint site
- Who should have access, and what kind of access they will need (e.g. Full access, read-only, etc.).
- The purpose for the site.